Robot recommendations for $500-$600

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
We are in the build process and the PB has included a Polaris 280 with booster pump. I have read all the recommendations for a robot and am working on convincing hubby. PB has tried to discourage me from "spending extra money that isn't necessary". It looks like the Polaris credit would be in the neighborhood of $500-600. If I can get a great robot for an even(ish) swap, I think hubby would be agreeable. PB will get over it. Doubtful that he will return the cost of the Polaris, but I could shift those monies to some extras I'm paying for out of pocket.

What would be the best one to go with at this price point?

How soon after the pool is completed and filled should I plan on having it available to use?
PB said I would need the Polaris within 4-5 days. Somehow, I don't really believe him. I seem to remember reading that the pebble needs to have 30 days or so before anything with wheels goes in it to avoid making marks. Is this correct?

Something long lasting and easy to repair would be good as I am most likely the one doing all the "stuff".

Thank you for your help!

Hi Nursenini,

You are right in that you need to wait a month before using a cleaner, be it Polaris or a Robot. The possibility exists that it cold leave marks in the new plaster. That dont mean it WILL happen, just that it's possible. For the first month, you will need to use a manual vacuum to clean the pool.

Probably the best robot on the market in the 500-600ish range is the Dolphin Nautilus or Natulius Plus at around 650ish.

Now I may be a tiny bit prejudice, but this is my opinion from experience. Its a basic cleaner in that it isnt remote controllable or have programmable this or that on it. But it cleans the bottom and sides of the pool well.

I have the regular Nautilus and its a very good cleaner and I couldnt be happier with mine. (mine doesnt have a handle on top like the Plus does, which I have come to learn, would be nice to have). If mine ever bites the dust, I will get the new and improved Nautilus Plus.

One thing about a robot, is its cheap cheap on electricity, unlike the Polaris 280. The Polaris requires both your filter pump AND the booster pump to be running at the same time. Depending on how much you use it of course, that might bite on the light bill.

Hope this helps,

Hi Nursenini,

You are right in that you need to wait a month before using a cleaner, be it Polaris or a Robot. The possibility exists that it cold leave marks in the new plaster. That dont mean it WILL happen, just that it's possible. For the first month, you will need to use a manual vacuum to clean the pool.

Probably the best robot on the market in the 500-600ish range is the Dolphin Nautilus or Natulius Plus at around 650ish.

Now I may be a tiny bit prejudice, but this is my opinion from experience. Its a basic cleaner in that it isnt remote controllable or have programmable this or that on it. But it cleans the bottom and sides of the pool well.

I have the regular Nautilus and its a very good cleaner and I couldnt be happier with mine. (mine doesnt have a handle on top like the Plus does, which I have come to learn, would be nice to have). If mine ever bites the dust, I will get the new and improved Nautilus Plus.

One thing about a robot, is its cheap cheap on electricity, unlike the Polaris 280. The Polaris requires both your filter pump AND the booster pump to be running at the same time. Depending on how much you use it of course, that might bite on the light bill.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Dave, that is VERY helpful! I'll check it out.

And thanks for confirming what I thought about the time frame. We will have a vacuum line (I guess maybe it's a standard pool thing?).

For the most part you are going to get answers that say either Dolphin or Aquabot, I have owned tracked models of both, and currently have an Aquabot. Neither company has a very good reputation when it comes to repair, however one thing that made me decide to switch to Aquabot is the street prices on wear items (brushes, tracks, etc.) seem to be much lower on Aquabot than on the Dolphin products. Also my Aqaubot Turbo T (not Rover T) does a much better job of cleaning than my older Dolphin did.

Ike

For the most part you are going to get answers that say either Dolphin or Aquabot, I have owned tracked models of both, and currently have an Aquabot. Neither company has a very good reputation when it comes to repair, however one thing that made me decide to switch to Aquabot is the street prices on wear items (brushes, tracks, etc.) seem to be much lower on Aquabot than on the Dolphin products. Also my Aqaubot Turbo T (not Rover T) does a much better job of cleaning than my older Dolphin did.

Ike

Thanks, Ike! I'll take a look at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ninni,

Keep the dedicated vacuum port if it's in your design. Your not going to save much money at all if you get rid of it and they are very handy to have because then you don't have to fool around with your skimmer to manually vacuum. It will also let you run a suction-side cleaner should you choose to do that. Suction cleaners are a cheap alternative to a robot for cleaning.

You might just want to stick with either the pressure cleaner or suction cleaner as your PB provides it and take your time on the robot. It doesn't sound like you're going to get much money back from the PB and I feel like you'd be much better off saving up your money to get a really good robot in the future as opposed to trying to shoe-horn a cheap one into your tight budget.

Just remember that, while we all have our preferred cleaner type, no pool cleaner is perfect and they all have their drawbacks. You will most definitely be manually vacuuming your pool to make up for all the missed spots or seasonal downpours of landscaping debris. So don't sweat the cleaner decision too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

The feedback from you all has been wonderful! Thank you for your experienced input.

Ninni,

Keep the dedicated vacuum port if it's in your design. Your not going to save much money at all if you get rid of it and they are very handy to have because then you don't have to fool around with your skimmer to manually vacuum. It will also let you run a suction-side cleaner should you choose to do that. Suction cleaners are a cheap alternative to a robot for cleaning.

You might just want to stick with either the pressure cleaner or suction cleaner as your PB provides it and take your time on the robot. It doesn't sound like you're going to get much money back from the PB and I feel like you'd be much better off saving up your money to get a really good robot in the future as opposed to trying to shoe-horn a cheap one into your tight budget.

Just remember that, while we all have our preferred cleaner type, no pool cleaner is perfect and they all have their drawbacks. You will most definitely be manually vacuuming your pool to make up for all the missed spots or seasonal downpours of landscaping debris. So don't sweat the cleaner decision too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

After discussing this with my husband, we have decided to forgo the robot for the time being and focus on other, more important details of the build. We WILL eventually get a robot, we just aren't going to worry about it right now. It may take a little longer and a bit more energy for the Polaris, but it's what's included and, from all accounts, does a decent job.

I re-read your first post carefully and have these comments....

1. The dedicated vacuum line is cheap to put in and convenient for you......keep it for manual vacuuming (I know this has been said, I am just adding to the idea.)

2. Have your builder re-think the credit he will give you for the Polaris 280. Looking online, his material cost will be around $700 + some labor of say $100. It's one less headache for him and it won't hurt a thing to ask him for a 7-800 dollar credit to eliminate that cleaner altogether.

3. Now, if he'll do that, you are up in a price range that expands your options and, for that size pool, you can get a robot that will clean your pool nicely and effectively and you will never look back.

4. Robots are the future of pool cleaners. The Polaris 280 is a proven pressure side cleaner but, like all pressure side cleaners, you have the often annoying noise of the booster pump, and you have to run your main pump while cleaning. The robots sneak around the pool very quietly and use somewhere around 1/5 or less of the energy. Even if you spend $1000, you will get that money back in energy savings.

There is a reason robots now dominate the market......they are a better idea.

Your husband should read this thread.

I re-read your first post carefully and have these comments....

1. The dedicated vacuum line is cheap to put in and convenient for you......keep it for manual vacuuming (I know this has been said, I am just adding to the idea.)

2. Have your builder re-think the credit he will give you for the Polaris 280. Looking online, his material cost will be around $700 + some labor of say $100. It's one less headache for him and it won't hurt a thing to ask him for a 7-800 dollar credit to eliminate that cleaner altogether.

3. Now, if he'll do that, you are up in a price range that expands your options and, for that size pool, you can get a robot that will clean your pool nicely and effectively and you will never look back.

4. Robots are the future of pool cleaners. The Polaris 280 is a proven pressure side cleaner but, like all pressure side cleaners, you have the often annoying noise of the booster pump, and you have to run your main pump while cleaning. The robots sneak around the pool very quietly and use somewhere around 1/5 or less of the energy. Even if you spend $1000, you will get that money back in energy savings.

There is a reason robots now dominate the market......they are a better idea.

Your husband should read this thread.

Well, Dave, you have me convinced! So far, my PB has been a bit resistant to my requests and suggestions of varying from his set bid- I have received push back on everything from my step height, filter choice, decking options, to the pool cleaner and plaster options. They do a quality build, come HIGHLY recommended, but I think he must be used to presenting the bid and customers not having a huge opinion about all the various components and details.

Thank you for the great advice!

...So far, my PB has been a bit resistant to my requests and suggestions of varying from his set bid- I have received push back on everything from my step height, filter choice, decking options, to the pool cleaner and plaster options. They do a quality build, come HIGHLY recommended, but I think he must be used to presenting the bid and customers not having a huge opinion about all the various components and details.

That's because your are more well-informed than probably 99% of the customers he deals with in any given build season ;)

It seems to me that most PBs prefer to build the pool they "know how to build" and don't like much variation in their bids because it either cuts into their bottom line with reduced refunds from their suppliers OR it forces them to do more work on the front end finding subs to do work they normally don't do (surface finishing and masonry).

Did you actually sign on this PB or are you still negotiating the contract terms?

Matt, we have signed the contract. We had GREAT difficulty getting ANY PB to take seriously our desire for a bid due to our easement restrictions. Over the course of the last few yrs, this is the only company enthusiastic about building for us. In fact, they are the only ones we could get a real bid from. One company spent the time to draw up a design and then would never give me a price.
They have a GREAT reputation in this area. Anyone who asks who we are using, when told, replies the same each time, "They are really good. I've never heard a bad thing about them". They are one of the more expensive builders and have a more financially well-off clientele.
We make good money but do not live in a wealthy neighborhood. It's a small, pretty, well kept area of newer homes, but we will be in the very small minority of pool owners here.

I think part part of the issue is the particular designer we are using. I work with his wife. When we had him come out to meet with us and view the yard to do the design, I had no idea he wasn't a full time designer. His main job is the construction supervisor. So, he is the one that oversees all their builds. I think these things will work in our favor once we get to the actual build and can get past the utility moving issues we have. However, I think this is why I'm getting so much pushback. Either he doesn't know enough on the design end, or he's not familiar enough with how the other designers swap things out and crediting. He's a nice guy and I'm trying to do this all in a very friendly manner. Plus, I'm not a demanding, stick up for myself person, so that's a tough thing for me to do.

I told him I want to have a meeting next week in person. I have a list of things to discuss. The robot is one of them, along with the DE filter, spa spillway, and a few other things.

I understand your predicament. Our home too is also goofy in it's layout - 3 out of 4 of the critical utilities (gas, electric, sewer) run right through the middle of the backyard then loop around the corner of the house and hug the foundation line until they go into the main services that are near the front of the house and garage. It is literally twice the path length to run it all that way then it would have been to run the services from the street and directly through the front yard. Why the builder and his subs chose to do that is entirely beyond me and makes no sense whatsoever. As such, our pool is crammed into the side yard with PRECISELY the right distances from any utility line. The PB that built the pool originally had a beautiful, rectangular design with a negative edge which would have had breathtaking views of the Catalina and Rincon mountains (when sitting in the spa) but it all had to be scrapped when BlueStake traced all the service lines out. It was very disappointing and really frustrating to have to move the pool to the side yard, convert it to a completely different design and basically have no views of anything but the house and the casita.

Building a pool is all about getting the things you truly want and being willing to compromise on the stuff that doesn't matter too much in the long run or that can be modified/added/amended later on down the road. So hang in there and best of luck to you with your meeting next week. And remember...lots of deep breaths.....

Best wishes,
Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.