Bubbles in water when adding bleach?

Oct 16, 2015
Kelowna BC
I'm doing the dichlor then bleach method, first time I added bleach today and noticed that there was bubbles on the surface of the water right away after adding the bleach (had the jets on when adding it). Then I noticed that the bleach I was using was "splash-less" and it was more thick, so maybe the thickening agent was making the bubbles?? So I bought just the regular bleach and added it later today to do a shock, and again the bubbles formed. It gets a lot worse when using the jets with air when we go in it. Anyone else experience this? I've never had bubbles or foam in my hot tub before :(

Also, with the pool calculator I'm putting in the 8.25% for the bleach as it says "concentrated", however, at the store where I bought it they all said "concentrated" on the bottles, do they even make regular 6% bleach any more? The bottle I got was the "original" Chlorox bleach. Thanks for any help!!!

Usually, if the percentage isn't labled, you can figure it to be 3-6% give or take a percent. Almost all of it is 8.25% now. I would imagine it will take some time before the thickener breaks down enough not to foam anymore. I would consider a drain and refil...

Usually, if the percentage isn't labled, you can figure it to be 3-6% give or take a percent. Almost all of it is 8.25% now. I would imagine it will take some time before the thickener breaks down enough not to foam anymore. I would consider a drain and refil...

I just did a drain and refill the other week, so probably will just wait for it to go away as I'm sure it's not harming anything.

Pool Calculator, wrong hot tub volume??

So I just got the Taylor K-2006, works pretty good! Now I'm seeing that I am only putting half the amount of chlorine I should have. So I had 1 ppm FC this morning, I did the PoolMath to add 105 ml of concentrated bleach to get to goal of 7. However, when testing after I added the bleach, I only had 3.5 ppm FC! So have I calculated my hot tub volume wrong? Is it not 1500 L? Is it 2500 or 3000 L? I first calculated it by how quick I filled it, but now I think that was wrong.

I have a Sundance Calypso tub, outside measurements are about 7 x 7 x 3. So when plugging that in I get about 3400 L, but of course, since that's outside measurements and considering all the shelves and stuff I'm assuming it's more like 2500 or 3000?

- UPDATE: I just did the PoolMath using 2500 L for volume and added another 101 ml to get to 7 ppm from 3.5. I tested it now at 6.5 ppm FC.

Also does one have to wait for a certain amount of time for the bleach to saturate the water? I just had the filter on for about 5 minutes after dosing and then tested. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.