Broken Fitting

Aug 19, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
While attempting to replace the pool side connection for my pressure side vacuum I broke the fitting that screws into the wall. Any trick to getting these things out? This is the threaded fitting that screwed into the pipe in the wall.

There was a rectangular hole in the back of the fitting and I attempted to put a wrench that fit in that rectangular hole into the hole and unscrew the fitting but the hole just disintegrated.

Next I tried to use the two little bumps in the fitting that keep the vacuum hose attached and they broke off.

I used a hammer and a large flat punch to try and get the part to turn but there was very little surface to tap against and that broke off.

Now I am stuck with a threaded pipe with a substantial part of the fitting left in the hole and no way to connect a vacuum. The bottom of the pool is quickly getting filled with dirt. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. By biggest concern is damaging the pipe in the wall. I assume that meands the pool has to be drained down past that fitting, concrete cut out, the fitting fixed and then the pool repaired.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Never mind. I got it.

Just in case someone runs into this issue I have a couple of solutions now. One is to take a PVC coupling for a one inch pipe and cut two grooves in it to match the little nipples inside the wall fitting. You can stick this in the wall fitting and use a strap wrench wrapped around the coupling to turn the fitting out. On mine the nipples both broke off when I did this. So I had to take a hacksaw to it. I broke the blade in half and made a handle by wrapping duct tape around one end. Then I cut two groves in the fitting. This is where you should use caution. Saw a few times and then look at your grove. Keep sawing and checking until you can just see the threads in the grove. Cut two groves about a 1/4" apart. Then take a flat screw driver and pry the piece of fitting between the groves out. Once you break a big chunk of that out you can fold the rest of the fitting up and pull it out.

Thanks for the advice. Running into the same problem. This is the 2nd time in 2 years. Wondering if I should just buy a huge wrench. There has to be an easier way?.

Teflon tape might be a good idea when installing, usually not used/needed on PVC but a wrap or two might keep the fitting and pipe from seizing up for an easier replacement longterm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.