What would your choices be?

Dec 16, 2015
Southeast, PA
In my research here I have learned getting the largest swg cell, a variable speed pump, the largest btu heater, and the largest cartridge filter one can afford are obviously the best choices an owner can go with (provided he has decided on a cartridge filter over sand/de). Obviously, budget is always a factor especially when deciding on waterfall options, decking options, pool size etc. Out of the first four options (swg cell size, variable speed pump, heater btu's, and a oversized cartridge filter) if I could only get two or maybe three (of the oversized options) which should I choose?

As of right now I am putting in a Viking Cancun (free form 16x35 14,000 gal [so they say]) with a Aquarite swcg, 1.5hp Hayward Super Pump (1 speed), 250,000 btu Hayward H Series heater, and a 225 sq ft Hayward Swimclear cartridge filter. I'd like to upgrade to a 300,000-350,000 btu heater, 2 speed Super Pump and at least a 425 sq ft Swimclear. I'm sure the PB will try to give me the 15,000 gallon Aquarite however I'd like the 40,000 gallon.

Again if I could only upgrade 2 or maybe 3 of the options, which options does everyone suggest?

If I had to pick two, I'd probably go with the larger salt cell and oversized filter. Both would make it easier to maintain your pool. :)

My choice would be the SWG and at least a 2 speed pump.
A 2 speed pump will save you $ on your electric bill every month. It will probably pay for itself in a matter of a couple of years. After that, its just money available to spend for other pool goodies. On top of that, when running on low speed, the pump is considerably quieter than running at full speed.

The filter should be sized sufficiently to handle the pump flow. Obviously bigger is better but given your pool and pump spec, and the 225 seems to be sufficiently large enough. Its a good filter and larger than the minimum size you would need. You just may have to clean it a time or 2 a year more often than say a 300.

here is a link to some info to mull over.....
Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head?

Very informative...my head is pulsating after trying to cram that info (for the second time). The 2 speed pump certainly sounds like it can save some money in the long run. I assume the swg setting would need to be adjusted running on high speed compared to low speed. Also, there will be deck jets, so in order to run them high speed should be appropriate when bathers are in the water. Hopefully others will put in their 2 cents also as I have much to think about.

Totally agree with Dave, you want a 2-speed pump at a minimum. VS pumps are great but I consider them a "nice to have" option. Chlorine automation is helpful and great but not a complete necessity unless you really think you won't be able to add chlorine manually everyday. If you do your plumbing right, you can always add the SWCG later after you spend a season "getting to know" your pool's needs.

If you are going to go with a cartridge filter then you really want that to be as big as you can possibly afford because cartridge filters require disassembly in order to clean them. Bigger means less frequent tear downs. DE and sand filters can be spec'd smaller and closer to the pump's max flow since you can backwash those filters to restore pressure as needed.

I would say don't skimp on automation. Get what you need plus a little extra even if it means trading off SWG now. You can always add an SWG later so you want to optimize your system for all the things you think you'll want in order to make them more amenable to DIY and plug 'n play as possible.

My $0.02 opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

As for the heater, does your pool design have an attached spa??

For pool heating I would say this - BTUs are great BUT temperature changes are totally dominated by evaporative water loss. So you can and should think about a pool cover. A well designed pool cover strategy can let you go with the smaller heater option and still get you the water temps you want. It just might take a little longer for a lower BTU heater to get there. But I can tell you this much - without a pool cover, no heater in the planet will get your water much more than a few degrees above ambient air temps due to evaporation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Nope. The swg doesnt care about the pump speed. It does require a minimum flow rate, but teh 2 speed will provide that easily.
And you're right. You'll likely need high speed for the deck jets to work right.

Ahh...good info. This certainly makes my decision harder. I also know slower flow can allow for better filtration. It boils down to what area out of the four choices do I want to gain efficiency. It pretty much sounds like I can leave the pump on the lower setting the whole time except for cleaning and swimming.

As for the heater, does your pool design have an attached spa??

For pool heating I would say this - BTUs are great BUT temperature changes are totally dominated by evaporative water loss. So you can and should think about a pool cover. A well designed pool cover strategy can let you go with the smaller heater option and still get you the water temps you want. It just might take a little longer for a lower BTU heater to get there. But I can tell you this much - without a pool cover, no heater in the planet will get your water much more than a few degrees above ambient air temps due to evaporation.

Nope there is no attached spa. I am thinking of getting a separate hot tub so this way I can use it all year long. The 250k btu heater will only be used for the pool. The cover certainly has its appeal for the exact reason you stated. However, the cover does sound like a lot of work, especially assuming I will be trying to swim everyday to get the most use out of my pool. An automatic cover would be nice, but at $10,000 I can't justify that cost for the build.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.