What do you think?

Probably not. Lots of assumptions here. How close will the conversation be to the pool? What are the surrounding conditions like -- to the bounce the noise or absorb the noise. With children playing you won't hear it. On a quiet evening sipping wine by the pool ??? Depends .. Oh I'm hard of hearing.

I have one 3' sheer decent waterfall and it is plenty loud to give nice background sound.

A couple of things to keep in mind -

The more waterfalls you have the more aeration that occurs. Aeration causes pH rise.

You should have valves to turn off any of the pipes, including the waterfalls. I am a fan of home run piping, meaning that each thing in the pool (except maybe every return eye) has a pipe and valve back at the equipment pad. This way you can isolate pipe runs or turn off features as you see fit.

I have the following valves on my pool-

1. All return eyes piped together
2. Sheer decent waterfall
3. Skimmer #1
4. Skimmer #2
5. Main Drain

Many pool builders will try to save money by tying everything together.

I have a rock waterfall on a complete separate plumbing loop (it's own pump, wall drains and two return pipes - one to the waterfall and a return back to the pool wall in the shallow end). This arrangement, along with some splitting 3-way valves lets me adjust the waterfall from "raging rapids" all down to "slow trickle". It's very helpful in moderating the noise level of the waterfall. You should consider that in your plumbing setup.

Also, sheer descents don't make a lot of random splashy noise in my opinion (I have one on the spa). It's a completely different, more smooth sound, than a rocky waterfall with lots of splashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I couldn't pass on this one, just make sure they have their own valves so you can adjust the flow and noise while you are chilling and blazing one up in good old Humble.

Will do on the valves. Ha ha on the blazeone, I've used that online login name since Al Gore invented the internet. It was just a couple of years ago I learned what the urban meaning was. I picked it originally because I collected NFA "class 3 weapons". LOL!

Per Joyfulnoise and others, I too strongly recommend a separate pump for the waterfalls/sheer descents if you can, particularly if you are going with a VS speed pump for the rest of the pool. Although it's a matter of personal taste, a trickle or less vigorous water fall looks sort of feeble to me...almost looking as though your pool system is not quite functioning right.

Of course, low water speed/volume will have a good or bad appearance depending a lot on the design of the waterfall, spillway,etc. With mine, anything less that full speed creates an uneven, broken up, somewhat displeasing cascade water fall pattern. Just saying....

In my water feature setup, the PB used the wrong pump. He put in a way-oversized 3-HP WhisperFlo pump (single speed) which is a very high head (pressure) pump really meant for pool circulation, not waterfalls. So it benefits me to the extent that I have all the water flow I could ever want BUT it comes at the high cost excess energy consumption and I have to tweak the return side head loss and flow using valves.

The key to water features like sheer descents is to use a waterfall pump instead. Waterfall pumps are low head, high volume flow rate pumps designed to move a lot of water with minimal pressure. They are usually lower HP than a typical pool pump and they are well designed for the task of moving large volumes of water. The caveat though is that they are low head, so you have to be careful in the plumbing design to make sure they don't have to draw water up from a large height or long distance and that they deliver water through a low loss pipe (2-1/2" to 3" PVC).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have three 1' scuppers on a tiny pool in an enclosed environment, and they are in no way loud. Check my build link in my signature for pictures.

I would say if your backyard is open, you should be fine.

Get a smaller pump and run it wide open. My pump is oversized and it's throttled back quite a bit...wastes electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.