Newbie from Annapolis

Dec 23, 2015
Severna Park, MD
Have an in-ground, stacked stone pool and matching pond from same Pennsylvania blue stone. Hoping to pick the experts brains re: supplies, maintenance, ideas, repairs

The pool and pond are 25 years old
dada90b3d5dccde26c15a5729b2159dc.jpg
749cd879eee8e8de9b7da7786a1c47ac.jpg
5269b888a8516ebe987f5c0983eceb59.jpg
c62e736b1eb40b0fe1b124108cac5cdc.jpg
6a31663d60d094674d4c841b0620b26e.jpg

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

Welcome! That's a slice of heaven you have there!!!

First off, I am wondering how your pool water is tested. Do you test the water yourself?

Second, can you add info to a signature letting us know any specifics about your pool? You can do so by going to the settings tab on the top right of this page. Thanks!

Thanks. I usually take a pool water sample to a local pool supply company for testing. I also use test strips.

The issue I have now is that it's a black bottom pool that has been bleached out by chlorine.

Someone said to add five gallons of muriatic acid to the pool and run the pump for 24 hours to bring the black plaster back, but I'm concerned about the acid effect on the equipment and lighting.

The pool is 18x26x6.5 and shotcrete (sp)

THAT IS SO PRETTY! WOW! It looks like magazine pictures! Can I come live there? LOL

I bet we can help you keep it from getting worse. I am not sure anything can bring the color back UNLESS there is some kind of build up on the plaster.

The number one thing you NEED to do is order a GOOD test kit of your own. Look in my siggy below for the one we use and love. There is NOTHING else better for your pool (and wallet)!

Here at TFP we are all about a balanced pool to extend the plaster life and make the water jewel like!

Pool store testing-------yeah it is free BUT is it really free when you walk out with $$ of stuff? AND your plaster has faded
:( I took my water to three stores within a hour of pulling it and testing it at home. NONE of the stores test said the same thing------this is off, that is missing, etc. My water looked like a jewel and tested GREAT on MY tests at home. The pool store is in business to sell you stuff so.........We are here just to see more pretty pools and areas like yours!

Test strips=guess strips

Hugs we can help!

Kim

TFTestkits.net

Here is a link to the test kits we use.

I will tell you that the TF-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use every day. IF you go to Leslie or such make sure to get the Taylor 2006 (NOT 2005 as it is not as complete test wise as the other two). Most pool stores sell the Taylor 2005 and tell you it is just as good as the 2006 :(

How does the plaster feel to the touch?

How long have you been there? Who takes care of the foliage? It is AWESOME!

Kim

Thanks
If I scrub the plaster, it improves the look (black shows through). It feels slightly abrasive.

The upside is that that the pool is no longer a deep black, there is better reflectivity of the changing color LED lights.

We've been here ~30 years and I planned, installed and maintain all the landscaping as a hobby. I'm told I should do it as a business.

Merry Christmas!

Okay we are SO going to be able to help you and your pool!

Lets do it in steps. I have a couple of "jobs" for you please.

1.fill out your signature and check the box so it shows every time you post. It will help us so your pool info shows on your posts. Go to settings (top right), go to edit signature (left side). Put in pool size, equipment-pump size, filter kind and size, features, etc.

2. Order or buy a GOOD test kit!

3. Read this link to get you started on understanding your pools and it's needs:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It is a LOT to take in BUT once you get your test kit and start testing and reading it will all click.

The neat thing about TFP is we can save you SO much money and effort! Most of the stuff we use we can buy at Target! How neat is that???

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

This is going to be a fun one to work on!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks [emoji2]

Yes, I own a Ferrari Testarossa and a 360 Modena. Fun toys.

I've owned several Ferraris over the past 30 years, the TR for 23 years. Nothing beats the mechanical sound of the lifters in a flat 12 with a Tubi and no cats.

You have good taste in Ferraris as well.

I started cars and coffee in Annapolis. Check out the Facebook page for cars and coffee Annapolis and drop me a PM here. Coffee is on me (Sundays 8am-noon at 1 City Dock).

OMG, what a beautiful space!!! Somehow I missed your introduction. My sister lived in Round Bay for years -- I mention this because its what your pictures remind me of. :) She retired to Sausalito a year or two ago, life is rough, haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support