My Swamp

May 26, 2008
I am ready to turn my sister swamp into a blue lagoon but its gonna take some work.It got away from her last summer so she just let it go.She didnt even cover it at end of year,I bought another pump and filter the other day, becuase her old one was screaming.I posted earlier this weekend all about it.
So heres what I've done so far,Ive hooked up new pump and filter to get it ready.Its about 8 inches low on water,and I didnt want to add water before I new what the cya level was,just in case i had to drain water.So I went to the local pool store to have the water tested (because I dont have good test kit,but I'm ordering one this weekend).Here we're the results....

FC = 0.0
PH= 8.2
TA=40
Cal=90
CYA=15

Of course she tried selling me a bunch chemicals ,which I didnt buy.And I went to Walmart and bought 10 bottles of bleach.I left there and went to Home Depot and bought muratic acid and sand for new filter,to start fresh with.
When I got home I filled filter with sand,and started filling pool with water.The pool lady told me not to worry about the CYA till I get the water up to lvl and get pump running.And get the ph,ta, where they need to be than add chlorine.
I also tooks pics before I started,just dont know how to upload them.

tosborn55 said:
.The pool lady told me not to worry about the CYA till I get the water up to lvl and get pump running.And get the ph,ta, where they need to be than add chlorine.

Good advice. I would raise the CYA up to between 20 and 30, keeping in mind that it will be a little lower once the pool is topped off. Next I would lower the PH down to around 7.2 and then bring the TA up.

The other setup step is to remove everything solid (leaves, etc) you can get out of the pool. Then you are ready for chlorine.

tosborn55 said:
Heres the pick before of my swamp,I havent added in chemicals yet.I will post some more soon showing progress,I couldnt figure out how to upload to here..
http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/vv52/tosborn55/

You go to the specific photo on Photobucket and you copy the IMG code. Then you paste it in your post, and the pic appears.

Like this:
DSCI00481.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well i can see a big improvement, but Ive used 18 large jugs of bleech is this normal?And it looks like im gonna need more.I had it checked this morning and everything was up to par the CYA was low still the FC was 3 ppm I think.

It is normal. The pool is going to consume the chlorine as you add it because that is what the algae does. Keep the shock level up, even if you have to add chlorine 3 times a day! The best thing to do is be consistant!

It's gonna take a while and a good bit of chlorine. Kill the ugly algae beast!!! :whip: Keep filtering and when you lose less than 1 ppm at night, have no CC's and the pool water sparkles, you'll have slayed the green beast!! Keep those pics a coming! :mrgreen:

I agree. A swamp like that will take gallons. The key is to not let the FC drop below shock level, meaning adding small amounts of bleach every hour if necessary. The sooner you have the FC and hold it there, the sooner you will defeat the dreaded beast. If you allow the FC to drop to 3, the algae will just grow back.

Keep it up :goodjob:

It might hold you over for a day or so.

I would imagine you may have to go get more tomorrow. :whip:

Ph problem

Threads merged for consistency by Moderator; please keep related posts on this thread. TIA!

Ive been getting my pool in shape and I cant seem to keep my ph lvl up,Ive been adding borax and usally within 2 to 3 days in goes down quick.My other lvls are fine but I did have a big algae problem before all this started.Also what is the purpose of PH?

Re: Ph problem

Low PH can cause skin irritation and damage parts of your pool. High PH can lead to calcium scaling and metal stains.

If you are using trichlor tablets/pucks, keep in mind that trichlor constantly lowers the PH, and you will need to compensate by adding soda ash regularly.

Maintaining appropriate TA levels can slow, or even eliminate, PH drift.

If you post a full set of water test results we can give you more specific advice.

Re: Ph problem

pH is how acidic or alkaline the water is. The "purpose" is if the water is too acidic or alkaline it can and will be irritating to bathers, it can damage pools and equipment (vinyl liners are ruined by pH below 7.0), it can have an effect on how well your chlorine or other pool chemicals work, and it can deermne if your water will have a tendency to deposit scale on the pool and it's equipment or corrode metal fixtures.

Hope this is helpful.

If you are using trichlor and/or you have kept your pool covered and just uncovered it then it's possible that both your pH AND TA are very low. Postin a full set of test results would be useful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.