Hi from Australia

It would be interesting to get prices from them on the 12 packs of reagants. It *might* turn out to be a cheaper way for us Aussies to stock up.
Then again the only Taylors kit I've seen available in Australia was almost double what I paid with express shipping from the US.

It can't hurt to get a price though so we can make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Although I'm not buying....
I would say to price out 0870 DPD powder, and 0013, CYA. Maybe others are thinking pH (0004) and DPD reagent (0003).

Will they get you larger bottles in quantities less than 12?

Sorry, Squib. Maybe a could get this in a new thread...

...I did a first round of tests yesterday. Below are tests results from CCL and previous test from Pool shop on 23/12.

TestCCL (29/12)Pool Shop (23/12)
FC6.53.9
TC6.5
CC0
pH7.57.7
CH250198
TA12558.7
CYA3835
SALT35504470

Notes:
I did add some buffer to boost the TA after the pool shop test.
We did have a heavy drop of rain which raised the pool level by about 2" also.
I also turned up the SWG form 50% to 80% which is why there has been a boost in the FC.
I added 500gms of CYA after the pool shop test.

Squib: Let us know your results after the CYA dissolves, about a week after adding.

I have taken some measurements to day and here is where the pool is sitting at after adding more (500grm) CYA the other week.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

The pool had a lot of swimming on the weekend and I also topped it up with tap water so I assume that is why the FC is down a bit. I've been adding acid to maintain the ph but strangely the TA is not moving. With my 4in1 test kit the TA reads around 90-100 and I know that the CCL has a +/- 1 drop tolerance so the TA could be around 100 with that kit.

Otherwise the pool water looks clear.

Should I add any more CYA?

Previously I have bought the CYA tablets and was told to place in the skimmer box and let dissolve. That was easy. This time I tried the powdered form but first mixed in bucket of pool water. It turned to very hard chunks of CYA which was hard to dissolve. Would it be safer to sprinkle in surface of water?

Although the tablet form is easier, I can see that the powdered form lets me determine how much goes in the pool. What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA is added via the sock-method. You take an old nylon or white sock and add the granular CYA to it tying off one or both ends as-needed. You then hang that sock in front of a return and manually knead the sock every so often until all the CYA dissolves (it can take several hours). The sock could be put in the skimmer BUT ONLY when the pump is running; you will have to remove the sock from the skimmer if the pump is off. You should NEVER add granular CYA directly to the skimmer or broadcast around the pool as it is slow to dissolve and can cause clogged lines. Adding it to the skimmer can suck it into the filter where it will dissolve even more slowly over time and have a greater chance of being lost during a filter backwash.

TFP recommended levels for CYA in an SWG pool is 70-90ppm.

Your FC is a bit low and just below the minimum. As soon as it drops below you open yourself up to algae. I would promptly add some chlorine preferably of the liquid variety to give it a boost. Just make sure your SWG settings are set so that your FC reads more or less the same every day and this number should be well clear of the minimum-currently for your CYA level about 5 or 6 FC.

Before adding any more CYA, I would just make sure your FC is definitely holding. If your going to add CYA, then you need to account for this even though it won't show up in your testing for about a week.

You additions of acid to lower TA needs to be done so that you are reducing your pH right down to 7.0-7.2 and then aerating to bring it up to 7.6 before repeating the process. The more you do this the quicker it goes. Have you been monitoring your pH to see how it is tracking? Your goal is to have a stable pH rather than chasing a specific number.

Any of the Hyclor chemicals are fine and yes CYA is Isocyanuric acid. (Some of their hardware however is cheap snd nasty).
The pool salt in Bunnings is fine to use and is all I have ever used without any dramas.

You'll find that most of the chemicals TFP recommends are relatively straightforward and easy to find as well as being cheap.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

The liquid chlorine from hy-Chlor has active constitute 125gm/L. I'm wondering how much to add in using the pool math calculator. The calculator has a drop down selection box 'by volume'. And I'm not sure which one to select?

perhaps I'm overthinking it and just add a couple of cups and retest in a few hours?

Hello,

Would I be the only one in this forum knowing Ian Healy, Mitchell Johnson! :D

Get the TF-100 kit if it's possible. But I wonder, you might run into problems finding refills. Refills are sometimes availableon amazon. Check out amazon Australia if they have TF-100 refills.

Don't do testing from shops please!!! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.