Upgrading to a variable spped pump

Dec 10, 2015
Colleyville/Texas
I am considering upgrading my single speed pool pump to a variable speed pump. I am considering either the Pentair 011018 Intelliflo or the Jandy JEP 2.0 e pump. My installer suggests the Jandy because he can provide with a 3 year warranty vs. a 1 year warranty on the Pentair.

My concern is that I have heard motor replacement on a variable speed pump is so expensive it would make sense to replace the whole unit if the motor fails. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Yes, motor replacement is expensive but even more expensive is the drive so it is usually cheaper to buy a new pump. Reliability wise, the two pumps are probably not much different. However in TX, you have to be really careful about having really good surge protection because the motor drives are very susceptible to voltage spikes.

Also, given your electrical rates, the ROI on a VS may not be much better than a two speed pump but the failure risk is a lot higher. Or is there another reason you want to go with a VS pump?

I just put in a Pentair Intelliflow 011018 pump. If professionally installed, Pentair gives a three year warranty on the pumps. It is very important to provide surge protection for any VS pump. I added a whole house surge protector to my main power panel and a second smaller one at the pool sub panel. That added $150 to my install, but it provides protection to all my other home electronics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.