Shocking question

When I shock my pool with the recommended amount of liquid shock it would take almost a week for the chlorine levels to drop back to normal levels. Most say you should be able to swim the next day but I found that wasn't the case. I went against my installers advice of shocking once a week to roughly once every six to eight weeks. The recommended reentry level of 3 ppm. I might be mistaking the reentry level. I tried lowering the amount of shock with no difference. Anyone experience this. I would also shut down the chlorinated.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

You will find that shocking your pool is a foreign concept to our methods of pool care and is not recommended. Our methods are based on accurate regular testing and maintaining the correct level of chlorine in your pool daily. But, this amount is not a static amount like the 3ppm that has been recommended to you but it is a factor of how much stabilizer you have int he water. the more stabilizer you have, the more chlorine you need to properly sanitize the water.

How much Pool School have you read? If you start with these articles you will get a good idea of our methods.:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

are you talking about shocking right now in the winter? Or are you just ruminating about what you did this past swim season? If you are still shocking now, it might take much longer for your FC to drop due to the diminished UV levels. It's also possible that your CYA is very high (if you've been using pucks) and that your shock level is not as high over your stabilizer as you think, which would make it diminish slower as well.

But, mostly as above, test with a good kit for your FC and CYA levels, and keep above the minimum recommended FC level. I'm wrapping up year two of never shocking/never having algae or even dull water.

Having just checked your weather.... I'm betting that your water is below 60°F. If so, you certainly don't need to shock the pool and most folks would discontinue using any chlorine until the pool temperature goes above 60°F in the Spring.....

When I shock my pool with the recommended amount of liquid shock it would take almost a week for the chlorine levels to drop back to normal levels. Most say you should be able to swim the next day but I found that wasn't the case. I went against my installers advice of shocking once a week to roughly once every six to eight weeks. The recommended reentry level of 3 ppm. I might be mistaking the reentry level. I tried lowering the amount of shock with no difference. Anyone experience this. I would also shut down the chlorinated.

Keep in mind too its safe to swim up to the "shock level" for your respective FC/CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.