Newbie here!Failed at AGP, moving and looking to try some type of pool again!

Hello All!

Just a small intro :)

We live in Texas, and we are relocating to a home with a little more acreage, so we are looking into another pool. So far the plan has been to get a partially buried Above Ground Pool. I'm looking around, researching to make sure that's the best route for us. We failed at maintenance of our current full AGP so looking for something with a bit less maintenance on our end and something larger :)

Looking forward to interacting with you all!

Welcome :wave:

I agree with tim5055 on this - if you failed at maintaining a smaller pool, then making it bigger isn't going to help.

BUT, here's the kicker, you likely failed because you were following bad advice (either from "helpful" know-it-all friends or the pool store). If you stick with TFP, you can have the large, partially buried (never understood why anyone would do that??), above-ground pool AND be able to care for it simply and effectively with minimal care each day. During the full swim season I spend about 10-15mins/day + ~30mins on the weekend caring for my pool...that's it. It's clean, clear and beautiful all the time. So if you can take the time to learn the TFPC Method of pool care and your willing to give up, maybe, 3 hours per week maintaining your pool (it will take you more time in the beginning as you learn our methods), then you will have the best looking pool on the block....assuming there are no other TFP'ers in your neighborhood.

The ABC's of pool water chemistry is a great first step.

Welcome to TFP.

Burleyster, welcome. I've seen people (not TFPers) treat AG pool water quality "less seriously," likely because the investment level is much lower ;) But IMHO, water quality can actually be more challenging in an AG if circulation is poor and the kit filter less than adequate. Ergo it can require equal or greater attention.

Managing water quality in any size pool requires a learning curve on the front end, and then dedicated but brief, consistent testing and dosing, or in some cases automation, Ie., SWG (salt water generator) which you still need to test and maintain.

A larger, "permanent" pool is only easier to manage if the filter and pump are correctly sized and the water flow adequately engineered. If you go with a partially burried pool, be certain these two criteria are met and it will assist, but not replace, your attention to water quality. ;)