South Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My pool pump was not working recently and my pool went about three weeks without running. I do not close my pool for winter because, living in the south, we still like to sit outside!

When i got it to start working again, it turned a greenish/yellowish color. It's not cloudy....I can see the bottom. I thought it may be algae, so I hit it pretty hard with bleach. Nothing happened. I have a lot of trees, so leaves and acorns are always in it (I clean it every day), so I thought it may be something else.

I've tested it and double checked it with a pool place, and no metals, no algae (if there was, I killed it with Clorox)!

FC: 18
CC: 0
Ph: 7.8
Hardness 145 (I know that needs to come up, but after FC comes down)
Alkalinity: 70
Cya: 40

I also have air bubbles in the pool. I'm going to check o-rings on pump today.

My main concern is the color! What could it be?

Ok... tell me this... when you take the brush n push it across the bottom of your pool, what does it do? Do you see any poofing plumes?

Go out right now and report back.

Lay a Vitamin C tab and a puck (in a seperate area) on the step for several minutes. See which one lifts the green. Report back.

Also, take a pic of the pool walls and the floor and the area you brushed.

Despite tests that show no iron, it sounds like the sudden addition of chlorine has precipitated iron in your pool. I would simply allow the FC to come down and I believe the color will disappear as the iron returns to solution.

image.jpgThe walls/bottom isn't green, it's in the water. And when you say 'puck', do you mean chlorine puck?

- - - Updated - - -

I certainly hope so Duraleigh, but I'm not too patient when my pool looks like this! ��

What's your water source? Sure does look like Mt. Dew.

I did just rub a vitamin c tablet on the step and it rubbed some yellow off! Should I do an acid wash?

* I meant ascorbic Acid treatment!

Take it one step at a time. Your picture confirms (to me) that iron has precipitated out of your water. Simply letting the FC drop and running the pump 24/7 should take care of it.

Once that's done, then you can work on any remaining stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have tested my refill water quite a few times for iron with the Taylor iron test.

It never shows that I have iron......yet over the years, I have accumulated enough iron staining on my liner pool to do an Ascorbic Acid Treatment.

The treatment worked wonders but I just have to assume the Taylor test will not report very small amounts of iron.......I have no other explanation.

I have tested my refill water quite a few times for iron with the Taylor iron test.

It never shows that I have iron......yet over the years, I have accumulated enough iron staining on my liner pool to do an Ascorbic Acid Treatment.

The treatment worked wonders but I just have to assume the Taylor test will not report very small amounts of iron.......I have no other explanation.

My experience has been the same as yours. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.