New Home Build....New Pool Build in Fulshear, TX

Aug 29, 2015
Fulshear, TX
My family and I are closing on our new build in January and we are planning to start our pool build as soon as possible after we close. Before we do though, I'm hoping not to forget any "should haves" from some of the more experienced "been there, done that" members on here. We have 3 small children (9,6,1) who we want to grow up loving the water like their parents did and we chose our home site for two reasons...big garage and a large yard for a pool.

We are building a more modern, contemporary pool....geometric in nature, 360' spill over spa. We are still making some tweaks to the design, but I think we're getting close to finalizing the design and will be choosing materials and such to match our aesthetic. I just want to make sure that we don't forget anything, but I do trust our pool builder to ensure that our drainage, returns, clean outs, etc...are going to be sufficient. But perhaps people really wish they would have done....whatever, or vis versa, and really wish they did not do....whatever. I've been reading on here for a while, but figured I'd share our design with you all for some advice before we get under way and reach a "too late" point to fix or modify certain elements.

The pool is approximately between 680 sq/ft with a perimeter around 120 I believe, if memory serves me. The raised beam is currently a 12" raised beam for around 80' or so. The far side of the pool (bottom of the "T" shape) is the deeper section, currently at 6' with a 12" raised 8' wide platform on top for seating or for the kids to jump off of into the pool since a diving board wasn't practical without eating up the entire pool. The tanning ledge/sun shelf is 8-9" in depth and is 8' wide by 8' deep with a small cut out for the stairs near the spa. We left the steep ledge on the side as another jump area for the kids to play off of. There are 3 LED lights (2 in the pool, 1 in the spa), 1 bubbler on the shelf, and 3 sheer decent water falls (1 centered on each of the longer walls). Our decking area will include approximately 900 sq/ft of new decking to accompany our existing covered patio area of 260 sq/ft for around 1250 sq/ft of total patio space. The side of the house has 3 large slabs with black rock dividing them (purely cosmetic).

Omega Pool 3.jpgOmega Pool 1.jpgOmega Pool 4.jpg

Looks great! I wanna do a cannonball in your spa!

Carefully.

Looks great! I wanna do a cannonball in your spa!

Carefully.

Noooooo! Youll get water in my drink!!! :grrrr:

:mrgreen:

Also, I believe we have a thread floating around here that was all about what you'd do different. Use the search feature. It should come up. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a delay getting this started right after moving in....other priorities took effect, but we're finally starting our new build. Just had lines located today so hopefully we will get the layout marked off here soon and hopefully digging will begin the near future.

I did have some questions about our pool build sheet, so I wanted to make sure everything here seems correct:

Pool Size: 31x27
Pool Area: 609 sq/ft
Pool Shape: Geometric
Pool Perimeter: 115' Linear Feet
Coping: Cross Cut Travertine Silver
Waterline: Glass Mosaic Tiles
Ledger: Belgian Blue Ledger
Depth: 3'6" - 6'
Spa Area: 49 sq/ft
Spa Perimeter: 28' Linear Feet
360 Degree Spill Over with Glass Mosaic Tiles
Pool Finish: Pebble Sheen Level 1
Filtering System: Hayward Cartridge 525
Filter Pump: Hayward TriStar High Performance Pump 2HP
Cleaning System: Polaris 280 Includes 3/4HP Booster Pump
Heater: 400,000 BTU Hayward H-Series Low NOX Induced Draft Heater
Air Blower: Polaris QT Blower 2HP
Skimmers: 2 Hayward Automatic Skimmers
Pool Returns: 6 Directional (Includes Eye Ball Fittings)
Sanitization: Hayward Salt Water System or Hayward Rainbow 320 Chlorinator w/ Ultra Pure Ozanator
Controls: Hayward OMNI Logic
Lighting: 3 Hayward Color Logic 4.0 Pool/Spa Lights
Drain: 4" PVC to Curb with PopUp and 8 Area Drain Gates
Decking: 1091 sq/ft of New and Existing Decking with Sun Decking Spray
Firepit: 4'x5'x12" Raised Beam with Belgium Blue Ledger

Does everyone think that the drains, pumps, etc... will be sufficient or is there anything I need to address prior to them beginning construction?

Thanks. I'll be sure to keep the thread updated once we finally begin the process.

I wondered when you said you were going to build right after closing if it would happen. There is SO much that goes into moving into a new home I really don't think you could, mentally, do both without going :crazy: LOL

So lets talk about this: Ultra Pure Ozanator Do some searching on this. You will see it is not very helpful at best, a waste of money and time at worst. It is up to you.

I will let someone else look at your pumps. I am still learning what is best for those.

Kim:cat:

We love love to see pics of the house and yard. The specs seems good (you will get some heat regarding the ozonator). It seems well thought out.

One thing to ensure is that there is sufficient space between the overflow of the spa and the pool (on two sides for you).

Is there a way to exit pool near the lounge chairs on left side? Otherwise all entry and exit will be from near spa.

We bumped our spa height to 18 inches and love the look with glass tiles. In our case, that was the only wow factor - no feature walls, etc. We kept a line of boxes around 18 inches tall in that area to get an idea of the height and did not think it was too tall.

Good luck with your build. Hopefully the weather gods keep the rain away!!

There is a bench seat in the deep end near the 12" raised deck area for the kids to exit from. Then we have a bench along the length of the feature wall as well. The spa has enough space around it for the 360' spillover, but I think it's only 8" or so (have to look at the plan).

Regarding the Ozonator, we are leaning towards salt water and will be choosing all furniture, equipment, and materials in the pool based on a salt system being installed. At least that is the plan.

They are supposed to be here today to layout the pool on the ground so they can hopefully begin the dig next week pending weather. Anyone have any other issues or concerns regarding the equipment, returns, drains, etc... Anything you would recommend we add to the pool before they begin construction?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.