How do I clean a corroded pilot?

Jul 11, 2007
Last year we replaced our old heater with a new Raypak LowNox unit, which I put in myself. Last fall we started having problems with the heater not lighting - you would hear it clicking over and over, but it never lighted. Hurricane Ike hit us shortly after that, and after dealing with all that, it just got kind of put on the back burner until now.

I'm having trouble getting someone out for warranty work since I installed it myself, and the warranty expires in 2 days anyway, so I'm probably out of luck with that. But one of the guys I talked to was nice enough to tell me what he thought the problem was - a dirty pilot. He said that if the pilot has a lot of soot on it, it interferes with the current going back up the tube and telling the heater that the pilot is indeed lit. So on his suggestion, I pulled out the pilot assembly, and the whole pilot tube, electrode, and mounting bracket had quite a bit of corrosion. I scrubbed it with a wire brush and removed some of it, but it still looked pretty bad and that didn't fix the problem.

So my questions are:

1) Is there a better way to clean the pilot and remove the corrossion from it, or should I just replace it?

2) What could have caused all this corrossion? Since it happened after only 6 months, I'm hoping that maybe something happened at the warehouse or during shipping, and this is an isolated event. What else should I look at that would cause the pilot to corrode so quickly?

Mikester, don't give up on that warranty! Contact them, before the warranty expires and see what they say :hammer: (as long as you tell them there's an issue before the warranty expires, they have to honor it, even if the diagnosis and fix isn't done until after it expires)

When I used to work with anoxy- acetaline torch, we had a special kit for cleaning it which had reams, borers and brushes specifically for the tips.

Did Ike flood the unit with sea water? If so, you might be able to get your home owners insurance to cover the repair - if sea water is deemed to be the cause of the problem :idea:

I hope you get this hassle taken care of in an inexpensive way soon, so that you can just start enjoying the pool :-D

As much as I would like to blame Ike, it actually stopped working a couple of weeks before Ike hit. We are way inland, so no water damage to the area. I did get a new roof out of the deal, which was nice since my old one was getting close to the end of its life.

Anyway, I talked to one company that said the warranty would only cover parts (labor if they had done the install), and they weren't sure if Raypak would even cover that since I installed it myself. I guess I'll call Raypak directly tomorrow and see what they say.

Worst case, if they don't cover it, it looks like a new pilot assembly is about $100, but yeah, it would be nice to not have to spend that. We really only use our heater for the spa, and my wife sprained her ankle really bad last week, so it would be nice to get the spa working so she can soak in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.