Hot tub not getting oxidized by ozone thingy

Oct 16, 2015
Kelowna BC
Opened the side panel today to start draining and noticed that there was an air hose disconnected. Upon further investigation I found that the plastic nipple that attaches to the ozone injector had broken off. So the hot tub hasn't been getting oxidized! I replaced the nipple, cut the hose and re-attached it. There is a slight noise coming from the air tube, like there is a bit of water in it, is this normal as it's pushing the oxidized air into the water somewhere?

By the way, how does this ozone thingy work? Should it be cleaned? Does it have a filter? Should something be re-charged or filled? This hot tub is from 1994 and we bought the house about a year ago, so just wondering what the maintenance is on this. Thanks! :)

A properly functioning ozone generator can cut the amount of chlorine needed to oxidize bather waste in half. The downside to them is that, if they run all the time or if there is no way to control their run times, the ozone will react with chlorine and convert it to chloride when the tub is not being used by anyone and that will create an excess chlorine demand. Then there's also the on-going replacement costs assuming they still make replacement units for a tub that old. The ozone generator on a tub that old was probably intended to be used with bromine sanitation as ozone can oxidize bromide to bromine thus helping to keep bromine sanitizer levels up.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's really worth replacing it in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

A properly functioning ozone generator can cut the amount of chlorine needed to oxidize bather waste in half. The downside to them is that, if they run all the time or if there is no way to control their run times, the ozone will react with chlorine and convert it to chloride when the tub is not being used by anyone and that will create an excess chlorine demand. Then there's also the on-going replacement costs assuming they still make replacement units for a tub that old. The ozone generator on a tub that old was probably intended to be used with bromine sanitation as ozone can oxidize bromide to bromine thus helping to keep bromine sanitizer levels up.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's really worth replacing it in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

So uses up the free chlorine too quickly without using the tub or any load? Should I just unhook the air hose from it then?

So uses up the free chlorine too quickly without using the tub or any load? Should I just unhook the air hose from it then?

If it generates ozone all the time and the ozone is added to the water, then yes, ozone will react with chlorine and convert the chlorine into chloride. Typically you don't want to sit in a bubbling hot tub with ozone in the water as its not healthy to breathe in. So I'm not 100% when they actually turn on or off.

However, in practice, I think most people with hot tubs that have ozone systems find them to be entirely useless - many say they could see no difference in water chemistry with or without them. So I wouldn't recommend that you go to too much trouble with it. Just disconnect the power supply and leave it be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.