Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
As some of you know I am waiting for the weather to become agreeable to replaster my pool. I am thinking when the pool is empty it would be smart to replace the lightbulbs. Reading on the forum, sounds like that can be a bigger job than I thought. Am I wrong in thinking I can simply remove the lens and change the bulb? Or is there more to it than that in all cases? I know that's probably a silly question, but being a newbie owner I have no idea. I am just thinking when the pool is empty it would be smart to replace all the bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually you can just change the bulb but I would pull them at least a couple weeks before the replaster. You can inspect them make sure all the parts are in good shape and the niech is not damaged in any way. That will give you time to order any parts (gaskets and such) and work anything major into the replaster bid. Might be a good time to think about an LED upgrade too.

The pool is still full of water, I am guessing I have to drain/lower it to get to the lights? Right now, I have the freeze protection on and it is circulating. What is involved with the LED update? Just the bulb or is different wiring in order? Thx

Assuming you have a standard 120v light bulb type light fixture it is just a matter of removing the light fixture from the niche via unscrewing the one retaining screw - this will allow you to lift the entire fixture up onto your pool deck, with the pwr cord still attached. Next, loosen the screw holding a round retaining ring...this will allow disassembly of the lens, gasket and stainless steel face collar and give you access to the light bulb. Just unscrew it and replace it with another bulb, preferably an LED bulb. Reverse the order of these steps to reinstall.

I like my BulbWizard LED. Check it out on Amazon. Also be sure to order a new gasket while you are at it. Or order the bulb and gasket and have your PB do it.

Before you you install it back in to the niche, set it in a 5gal bucket of water for a couple days to be sure it's watertight. I did it for only about 5 minutes. Thinking it passed the test, I reinstalled it. Two weeks later, a very slow leak ruined the LED bulb.

Thank you Jaimslaw for the detailed reply, very helpful and appreciated. When I get back home I will look to see how far below the water surface the light is, hopefully I can access it. This is a new home to me, and I have never been in the pool, it is too cold right now obviously. One of the lights is on the backside of the pool which has a big wall with a waterfall, not sure that that light can be reached to the deck since it's probably at least 5 to 6 feet above the light to the top of the wall. Good news is it sounds like this can be done while there's water in the pool. I was nervous that my only opportunity was going to be when the pool was empty. Am I correct in assuming that lights can be changed while water is in the pool? Thanks again and sorry for the probably silly questions for experienced pool people.

Bulbs can be changed while water is in the pool by removing the faceplate and pulling the fixture up to the deck. Obviously there has to be enough cord/wire coiled up in the niche but that is almost always the case.

The entire light can be changed (think upgrade to LED) with water in the pool, but would be much easier during the replaster. Which is why atttech mentioned it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.