New to forum from PA

chdolfnz

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2009
Lancaster, pa
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a 24ft AGP that I will be switching over from Baquacil to Chlorine this year. Last season was the first year for the pool and went with Baquacil...then towards the end of the summer developed the white, slimey mold in the pool. I worked with my pool company and got it taken care of, but decided that chlorine might be better. I was just looking around on how to do the switch and found this site, so I decided to join. It seems like there is a lot of useful info here!! My pool company is going to help me with the switch in a few weeks, ... hopefully it will go smooth?? I do have a question...does any one use the Pool Frog mineral/chlorine system in their AGP?, and if so, how do you like it?....I am thinking of going with it for the automatic feeding of the chlorine. Thanks for any info you can provide and I will keep you updated on how the Baq/Chlorine switch is going!!!

Curt

Greetings and welcome to the forum. Before you waste your money on a pool frog or other "mineral" system i suggest you read this thread:
alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

Second, take some time and read the Pool School section of the forum. The link is in the upper right corner of every page and also in my sig. You will find it very useful!

The vast majority of our members have discovered that it's very easy to care for a pool and tha they can actually do it BETTER and for less money than their pool service charges! Hopefully, you will discover the same thing! :goodjob:

You mention the auitomatic feeding of chlorine. This is usually done with a feeder or floater and the use of a chemical called trichlor. It adds stabilizer (another needed chemical) along with the chlorine. The downside is that the pool soon becomes overstabilized :shock: and you have to drain and refill to maintain water balance. Too much stabilizer is a bad thing because it makes your chlorine ineffective and you start etting algee outbreaks that won't go away and other problems. There are better ways to chlorinate but they do require a bit of daily maintenance, about 5 minutes a day, or you can go with a SWG. Many of our members are also former tirchlor users who eneded up with overstabilized pools ans the problems associated with them. I am sure that they will chip in with their experiences if you just ask them!

Thanks for the info...very interesting!! I will definately take this into consideration!!! I have some experience with pools, be it years ago when we used Chlorine gas at a public pool...fun, fun!! Just need to get up to speed with all that is out there...I guess it is very simple once you get the hang of it!!

Save yourself A LOT OF MONEY and headaches and do not bother with The Frog. :rant:

It was a nightmare and not worth the expensive trouble it cause me and my pool. :grrrr:

A mineral cartridge (every six months) runs $89 and up.
A bac pac runs $17.99 and will last 2-4 weeks depending on settings, and mine frequently malfunctioned, dissolving the tablets in less than a week, requiring me to purchase a new bacpac. In 6 years I never found a source for bulk purchases at a discount.

Because of the copper, my blonde kids hair turned green, my white dog turned green....

I had nothing but trouble with that darned thing and the worst part about it is the people who sell them don't even know how they work or what they do, so when you do have problems, the pool stealers can't help you and then they just sell you something else "to fix it.". Customer Service at King Technologies, the manufacturer... again, worthless.

I learned the hardway believe me. If someone had explained it to me prior to our pool "package" install, I never would have accepted the Frog as part of the deal.

The only nice thing was the convenience. If you want a simple inline chlorinator for daily dispensing, and you understand the CYA relationship and the affects Trichlor has on PH, then that's fine...but a simple inline chlorinator is a much better option than The Frog. OK end rant :mrgreen:

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you need more info on it. :wink:

WOW...thanks for the info...according to some people, the "frog" system was a God send...but now I'm starting to think otherwise...I know it's not cheap!
Now for the "stupid" question...if I don't use the Frog, what would be the best way to add chemicals and keep everything running fine? I did just purchase the TF 100 test kit tonight!!! I guess that is a start! I don't mind doing the "manual" labor involved with addind chemicals. I just want clean, clear , and safe water!!! Thanks again!
Curt

chdolfnz said:
WOW...thanks for the info...according to some people, the "frog" system was a God send...but now I'm starting to think otherwise...I know it's not cheap!
Now for the "stupid" question...if I don't use the Frog, what would be the best way to add chemicals and keep everything running fine? I did just purchase the TF 100 test kit tonight!!! I guess that is a start! I don't mind doing the "manual" labor involved with addind chemicals. I just want clean, clear , and safe water!!! Thanks again!
Curt
Welcome to the forum :wave: We are glad you are here! After going to "Pool School" you will have a better understanding of how to take care of your converted pool. If you are looking for convenience might I suggest a salt water chlorine generator or" SWG".

Hello and Welcome from Pennsylvania! :mrgreen:

You have started on the right foot by even showing up here and ordering a TF100! It's absolutely going to be your best friend and your pool's! As No P in my ool posted, get familar with Pool School! It will answer most if not all of your questions and if you need help along the way, remember, we're always here to help! 8)

P.S. We like pics!!! Especially Baquajunk/Conversion pics!!!!!! :whip: :twisted:

Something for you to consider...you were sold one bill of goods with the biguanide system you have been using. It worked great for a while but then you got white water mold, a very common problem with biguanide pools that I know you were not told about, nor were you told about the other big problem of 'pink slime' (a cyanobacter that likes to grow in biguanide pools). I also suspect that you were not told how expensive biguanide systems are when compared to chlorine or bromine, nor were you told that Canada does not register biguanide products in their country (what do they know that we don't?), were you?

Are you ready to be sold another bill of goods with the Pool Frog?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.