Do I need to upgrade my electrical?

First, make sure the power is turned OFF at the service (it’s the box with your meter and breakers ) before you mess with anything electrical.

Without seeing what your electrical at the equipment looks like I am just taking a stab in the dark. You can probably put another receptacle, if your current one is in a weather proof box you might be able to put a bigger weather proof box for 2 receptacles. You will also want to protect yourself by putting GFI receptacles if that circuit is not already GFI protected.

I have not installed my SWG yet but I think it is supposed to be wired into the timer so it turns on when the pool pump turns on, if so another receptacle should not be needed. Again a picture of your electrical could help here. I do not think a SWG draws too much electricity so I am guessing your current breaker can handle the load and the circuit should not need to be upgraded.

If your pool is more than 42" deep, or permanently installed, there are a number of very specific requirements for the electrical service. These requirements do not apply in all parts of the US, though they do apply in most places, but it is a good idea to follow them even if they are not required.

If the pump is not hardwired, there must be a single outlet, with a twist lock plug, it's own 20 amp breaker, and GFCI protected, between 5 and 10 feet from the water.

There must also be a duplex outlet, GFCI protected, between 10 and 20 feet from the water.

Normally, only the pump can be plugged into the twist lock outlet.

The Intex SWG does not have an outlet on it. The Aqua Trol SWG does have an outlet and can be plugged into the pump outlet and then have the pump plug into it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.