Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covering your equipment

1. Back To Top    #1

Covering your equipment

Is it beneficial or necessary to shade your pool equipment? ie. pumps, filter housing etc.

I was wondering if erecting a shade structure over my equipment would prolong the life of the exterior of the equipment.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Covering your equipment

The enemies of anything mechanical are sun, rain and dirt. Anything you do to minimize that exposure is generally beneficial.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just make sure that if you do construct a cover or housing for your pump and filter setup, that you:

1). Allow for ventilation. Pool pumps can generate a goodly amount of heat on their own.
    2.) Construct it so that you are still permitted good access to things easily. Take it from a guy who build a great housing for this equipment, only to discover later that I couldn't lift my filter housing free to clean the filters.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

I was thinking about mounting a cleat on my brick wall above the equipment, attaching outdoor patio solar screening to the cleat, and attaching an aluminum tube to the front end of the material that could be extended forward and proped up with two aluminum tubed legs. Hopefully, readers of this post have a visual of what Im describing.
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

5. Back To Top    #5

I think I 'see' what you're saying and it sounds like a good way to help protect and prolong the equipment

p.s. your equipment says ''thank you for thinking about us "
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, each day that I go by my equipment I state to myself, "it sure would be nice to provide cover for this stuff"