High Cl, still green and cloudy - Help!

JenLar

Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2007
Escondido, CA
I have an above ground, 24' round, 13,500gal, vinyl liner, cartridge filter

9 days ago my water was pea-soup green, but clear - I could see the bottom no problem. I had a sample tested at the pool store, and they told me to treat for copper, and then use 12lbs of BioGuard shock, and then add more copper based algicide.

So, $134. , and 9 days later, I have super cloudy, sea green colored water. I just got my test kit today, and here is where the numbers stand:
FC - 29
CC - 1
ph - 7.5
T/A - 190
CYA - 70
temp - 75

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
JL

Have you had the pump running? If not, do that 24/7. You need to clean out all that dead algae. You will probably have to clean the cartridge frequently.

With a CYA of 70, you need to keep the level of chlorine over 20 ppm. Definitely with the 1 ppm of CC, you still have something going on. Just keep the chlorine above at shock level, run the pump, and clean the filter. I would also recommend using the BBB method instead of the granular chlorine.

I don' think there is anything growing in that water. If the FC is 29 now it must have been at least 60 nine days ago. If anything had survived that it would have consummed all of the chlorine by now.

The next place to look is the filter. Over nine days the filter should have made substantial progress on clearing the water. Have you cleaned the filter cartridge in the last week? Do you know how much your pressure has gone up since the last time you cleaned the filter?

Yes,
I have been running the pump non-stop since the last week of April. The water has been super cloudy since I put in all that shock in. I have hosed off the filter cartridge 2 or 3 times since then also.
My pressure gauge is broken, but I had been cleaning it daily. The last time I cleaned it was yesterday.

Are there filter cartridges with different filtering capabilities? or is the major difference between media? sand, DE, or cartridge?
Are cartridges supposed to just last a year?

Thanks for the replies,
JL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.