Dolphin Triton

gary300

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2014
Riverside California
I am narrowing my search for a robot. The Dolphin Triton (as seen at Sunplay.com) looks like it would fit my bill. My pool is 20 x 40 feet and is rectangular / Grecian style. I do get heavy debris during our Santa Ana wind periods, mainly palm tree stuff. Does anyone have this cleaner? And if so is the remote worth the cost?

Gary,

I have one... kind-of.. Mine is a Premiere, but it looks identical to the one at Sunplays site. Two drive rollers/cleaners, bottom removal of the filters, two large blue "balls" at the top of the handle that can be pulled out or pushed in. Here are my thoughts now that I have used the thing for one season.

1. I bought the remote and other than the first day, have never taken it out of the box. I would not get one if I had the choice.

2. It comes with a four fine mesh screen filters and four filters that look like air filters for your car. I find that the screens are great for small debris, but they don't collect dust/dirt. The "air filters" do a great job on dust/dirt, but they are harder to clean when they get loaded with debris that get in between the pleats. The problem is not the filters, it is me.. I have two older dolphins with the heavy duty bags (in other pools) and I just love the bags. They pick up everything and filter the water at the same time. I think Maytronics went in the wrong direction when they did away with the bags. My unit also came with a bag, well, they called it a bag, it is about a thick as a pair of ladies nylons, just not the same.

3. I usually run the screens one day and run the pleated filters the next, or I make two run in one day.

4. It is about twice as fast as my older Dolphins and can make an almost 90 degree turn where the older units cannot.

5. It does a great job of cleaning the pool and does not appear to miss any spots, except the steps and seats which is expected.

6. Mine has a "filter" light on the power supply which comes on when the filter is dirty. Mine comes on even if the filter is not dirty.. On the other hand the light is worthless, because you are going to clean the filters after each run anyway, so it really makes no difference if the light is on or off.

7. I like the anti-twist cord device on the cable. My other Dolphins both suffer from cable "deformities", so apparently it works.

8. It climbs walls like crazy and does a great job of cleaning the waterline tile.

9. I comes with a 50 foot cord so you need to keep in mind where you are going to plug it in.

10. I know this sounds a little negative, but I really like the unit overall, just thought I'd point out both the positive and negatives.

And most of all.. I don't believe that any robot is designed to pick up large debris, like large leaves etc. If it did it would clog the filters up in about half an hour.

Jim R.

Jim, thanks for your detailed reply. I appreciate all of the insight you provided. I did pull the trigger on the Triton Plus from Sunplay yesterday. Removing my mostly worn out and very troublesome Kreepy Krauly classic will be a pleasure. No more leaky hoses for me! This will be my first robot and just trying to think of a name for him (or her).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.