Another pump question

banditig

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2015
Ohio
Sorry I didn't mean to hijack previous thread post. I also have a single speed pump that is very noisy always has been). It's approximately 16 years old. I run it 4-6 hours a day in season, it's so load I shut it off at night. I would rather have a quieter pump and run longer time plus save electricity. Are 2 speed pumps any quieter at full speed than single speed? A variable speed any quieter at full speed? Was I just lucky my pump has lasted this long? The mounting bracket is now rusted bad. I see a vs pump is reasonable priced.
Amazon.com : Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower, 115/208-230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Patio, Lawn Garden
It says this pump can work in above ground pools. This pump might be to big for my filer? I can wire it to my 115 volt conduit. But it does have a different frame for my pad (I read you guys just set them on the pad and don't bolt them down?).
If I get a 2 speed pump how do I know if my heater will still work on low speed?

Hayward PowerFlo MATRIX Pumps - Pool Supplies Superstore

This 2 speed pump has a cord, mine is currently hard wired in. I guess I could add an outdoor GFCI but prefer not to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 36
Re: Another pump question h

The great thing about 2 speed and VS pumps is that you rarely need to run them at high speed. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine with the SWG. It only uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. It is almost silent at 1100 rpm. We run it at 1500-2000 rpm for the waterfall and 1950 for solar. Still very quiet and lots of water flow. A VS pump cannot be too big for your filter because you don't have to run it at full speed. The Superflo is a nice pump. You will like it and save some money on electricity. 16 years is pretty sweet!

Re: Another pump question h

Thanks for your prompt reply. I would like to find the lowest RPM possible and still run my heater. With my current setup I have to open the external bypass valve to get the the water warm. It seems like a waste to bypass most of the filtered water past the heater and back to the pool. I understand I will need it set at higher RPM as the filter starts building up (I add a small amount DE). I am also in the process of using hard pvc pipe with unions and jandy valves so I guess I shouldn't worry about bolting the pump to the pad?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.