Is this set up too much ?

Apr 22, 2009
Hi guys, my first post here and completely new to pools.

I have a 16' round x 4' deep intex above ground pool which I have just fitted and set up.

I found the std 1500gph pump to be ok if the pool was clean but if you wanted to hoover the pool it was a bit lacking in power, also the filter gets blocked every few minutes so you spend more time cleaning the filter than you do the pool. The pool had been collecting water and debris over the winter whilst I built the decking around it.

I picked up a used 32" x 16" doughboy sandfilter and 3/4hp pump, works really well, but a few questions if I may.

Is the pump far to big for what I need and if so will it do any damage ?

How long should I run the pump for basis 5000 gallons, water being correct and no debris ?

How often should the sand in the filter be changed ? ( I gave it a good backwash)

I note in the Doughboy handbook NOT to put chrlorine pucks in the skimmer for potential damage to the pump is this correct as I have never heard of that before ?

Many thanks
Paul

Paul Jennings
Kent UK
16ft x 4ft Intex above ground pool, 32" x 16" Doughboy sandfilter, Doughboy 3/4hp pump, 9kw Elecro heater, 11/2" pipework.

Correct you don't want to put pucks in the skimmer. Big no-no. When the pump is off, and the pucks sit there, the concentrated water in the skimmer/pump area becomes very low in PH and very high in chlorine...it can cause the parts to become brittle if they are plastic and corrosive/destructive to other pump parts.

As for the pump set up....I'm no expert on that - someone will chime in. :goodjob:

Thanks, that would sort of make sense as the pump is plastic construction. Luckily I have had the pump on pretty much full time so far to chlorinate the pool etc.

Regarding the pump the reason I am a little unsure is because there seems to be 2 ways to size a pump, GPH (simple enough) and HP which I cant find a conversion table for.

With time running I was told by the local poolstore that any pump needs to run for minimum of 9 hours per day, but sure I read on here that the water needs circulating only once a day, so 2500 gph pump needs to be on just 2 hours a day under normal circumstances with a 5000 gallon pool etc etc

Regards
Paul

Hi Jason, many thanks for the guidance.

Its a fairly old pump 2001 I think, model 0-1065405 3/4hp 930 watts.

Also what are your thoughts on changing the sand ? do I need to do that ? it all seems fine although I do need a new pressure gauge.

Regards
Paul

Pool Jennings said:

Also what are your thoughts on changing the sand ? do I need to do that ? it all seems fine although I do need a new pressure gauge.

Regards
Paul

That looks like info off the motor. Any numbers visible on the wet end itself?

The sand should be fine. The industry will tell you it needs to be done every 3-5 years (is the pool even that old?), but if well cared for it usually lasts much longer than that.

spishex said:
Pool Jennings said:

Regards
Paul

That looks like info off the motor. Any numbers visible on the wet end itself?

The sand should be fine. The industry will tell you it needs to be done every 3-5 years (is the pool even that old?), but if well cared for it usually lasts much longer than that.

I assume you mean the impellar end, will have to look when I get home.

No the pool is new but was dissapointed with the std pump and filter in particular.

Sandfilter appears to work fine, pool is very clear, hoover works well even when on filter without any visible dirt returning to the pool, am assuming that the filter is 2001 same as pump, as this is the UK we probably got that here circa 2002 so could pottentially be 7 or so years of use, I will keep a look at and change sand if any sign of debris or pressure build up.

Thanks

JasonLion said:
Guessing a little, based on the 930 watts, I expect that pump is somewhere around 25 to 30 GPM, or 1500 to 1800 GPH.

The original was allegedly rated at 1500gph, this has a lot more suck and blow than that, Have not created a whirlepool or a spa jet scenario but just wanted to check I would do no damage with over pumping as it were.

If it was say 2000gph for simplicity, what would you say the normal run time should be ? and again assume end of the day or night running is best ?

Many thanks

A good starting point for pump runtime is to pump as much water as you have in your pool each day. A 5,000 gallon pool and a 2,000 GPH pump would suggest a 2 1/2 hour pump run time (with a clean filter). Your ideal run time might be a little shorter or longer than that, depending. I would start with 3 hours and then tweak it from there.

Exactly when during the day you run the pump isn't all that critical. Running the pump in the evening is fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.