Second option on balancing water

You numbers look ok. Whether or not a person should increase the CYA is determined largely on how much FC is being consumed over the course of time.

The largest factor regarding the CYA level, is how much UV you recieve in your area. UV eats up FC, CYA helps slow that process down. People in the lower latitudes across the US generally do increase their CYA up to as high as 50. The recommended levels chart for Non SWG is 30-50 just for this reason.

So, I think I got it but I want a second option. I have used all of the charts and pool math. Should I have my CYA at 40? Thanks for the help!

FC 4
CC 0
CH 325
CYA 30
TA 110
pH 7.6
Temp 60F

Crystal clear

- - - Updated - - -

You numbers look ok. Whether or not a person should increase the CYA is determined largely on how much FC is being consumed over the course of time.

The largest factor regarding the CYA level, is how much UV you recieve in your area. UV eats up FC, CYA helps slow that process down. People in the lower latitudes across the US generally do increase their CYA up to as high as 50. The recommended levels chart for Non SWG is 30-50 just for this reason.

I am in San Diego. So a CYA of 50 would be better correct?

My only suggestion is that your TA looks a little on the high side. It will probably be ok for now and there's no rush to "fix" it but in the summer you may see your pH rise a lot. If your TA is still above 100ppm, then you might want to consider lowering it as high TA can lead to fast pH rise. Again, not something to go out a fix right now, just something to keep an eye on.

What is the quality of your fill water (pH, TA, CH)?

My only suggestion is that your TA looks a little on the high side. It will probably be ok for now and there's no rush to "fix" it but in the summer you may see your pH rise a lot. If your TA is still above 100ppm, then you might want to consider lowering it as high TA can lead to fast pH rise. Again, not something to go out a fix right now, just something to keep an eye on.

What is the quality of your fill water (pH, TA, CH)?

What level is ideal for TA?

What level is ideal for TA?

Whatever value gives you the most stable pH. For some people (like me), it would have to be ridiculously low so that's not practical. I try to keep my TA below 70ppm and supplement my pool with 50ppm borates. That makes my pH very stable.

Getting your TA adjusted just right is part of the learning curve. TA buffers the pH. So, keep a record of how quickly your TA rises. If its pretty quick and you have to add Muriatic Acid more than often enough to suit you to lower the pH, then you can lower the TA to help buffer that.

It takes time to lower and then monitor it for a while, so it takes a good bit of time to get it where things become stable. So patience is key.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.