Brand New Pool: Startup Tomorrow

Pale Rider

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2015
NorCal, USA
Hi All:

Joined last spring when our pool construction began. I want to thank everyone here, especially the TFP team. This is a tremendously valuable site.

Took about 28 hours to fill the pool, and another 2.5 to fill the spa. Pool is gunnite, with Hydrazzo Bella Azure plaster. Tile is glass subway tile mounted vertically, with some accent mosaics around the pool. Three waterfalls, and ledge. Spa is about 9 feet in diameter, with spillover. I ordered my XL TF100 test kit with the magnetic stirrer and borate options last summer; just itching to get started with it.

Here is a pic of the pool during fill-up yesterday. We are still in landscaping and construction phase around the pool. This has taken longer to get done than I ever expected; i guess that is common.

IMG_5947.jpg

One quick question: pool equipment won't be started until tomorrow. Should i go ahead and do a brush-down or two today even though water is not moving?

Cheers!

Greg

I would brush it down. It cannot hurt anything. I have a link for you BUT know the PB holds the warranty card so what he says goes.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Good job having the great test kit. Have you tested your fill water? Go ahead and do all of the tests except CYA (this has to be added).

Kim

Thanks Kim. Pouring down rain here, and my pool is getting even more full than I had planned. But I will brush it down.

Yes, I had read the Startup Plaster page. Very helpful. I haven't tested the fill water in this context. Because we are on a well, we routinely test our water for other purposes. Pool was filled with straight well water [with "off the chart" hardness.] The house is serviced though by a monster Kinetico system. But for filling the pool, we went straight from the well.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

What is the iron content of the well water? How do you intend to deal with it if it's high?

Dave, I don't have an iron number yet, though when we set up our water softener last year, iron was not one of our issues. Tomorrow, we are doing a full chem reading. If we do have high iron, i plan follow the suggestions in the Metals Segment of Pool School. Trucking in water is not an option. i explored that, but with drought conditions here, water suppliers have been barred from supplying pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.