Helping a Friend with BBB

dpool

Sep 20, 2007
Well, now I've gone and done it!

I've been talking up the BBB method to a friend that has a pool service and now they want me to help them understand and convert to the BBB method. With the help of this site I don't doubt my ability to explain it and get them on their way.

I don't know all the particulars about their pool, yet, except that it's in the ground, oddly shaped, deep enough for a diving board, and has had a problem with algae blooms every summer leading to replacements of pumps, filters, and all sorts of 'fixes' that haven't fixed anything as the pool is going green as we speak.

My main concern is before this person tells their POOL SERVICE to 'take a hike' is there any reason to keep a pool service after converting to BBB? I guess the real question is:

Beyond sweeping the sides and cleaning filters (both my friend does on their own already) what other services SHOULD a pool service be doing and are they necessary once you convert to BBB?

When I asked what kind of sanitizer the SERVICE uses, they said it is a GAS that they put a hose 'under the water and then we can't swim for a long time' I'm not familiar with this and don't want to cause any problems. What is this method? Will it conflict with BBB?

I'm planning on taking my TF-100 over to do tests (I know less tests for me but this is a good friend) and I'll have more info and questions after I spend some time at the site.

Thanks,

dpool

The best help you can give your friend is to suggest they join the site. The methods here on the forum require personal involvement and, often, folks who have friends help them never get involved enough to learn.

Very kind of you to test their water but if you get that blank stare as you tell them what it all means, you need to let them discover on their own if they are so inclined.

However they are sanitizing, BBB will have no effect or cause any major problems to change over. :lol:

If the pool service uses gas, then it must be chlorine gas. You don't need to do any kind of conversion to switch to BBB, just start doing BBB right away. Keep in mind that many of the pool services that use gas also use very very high CYA levels.

I've told a few friends of this site...one joined as a member (hello Beave) and another is interested for this season (she hasn't opened her pool yet). But several are skeptical ("you put BLEACH in your Pool??? :shock: ) and one actually laughed in my face when I told them out to get metal stains out.

I admire you're wanting to help and if they are receptive but not wanting to visit the site I understand, but far and away I think they will absorb more understanding and knowledge if they join. But good luck, let us know how it goes. :goodjob:

My skeptical friend.... I'm thinking of offering to open her pool at a 20% savings from her current PS. I'd still clear a couple hundred bucks :mrgreen: and her pool would be swimmable in days as opposed to 2 weeks with their algaecide method....

Thanks all for your input.

I've known this friend for a long time and I think it's more the OVERWHELMEDNESS of learning the BBB rather than lack of desire. I'm hoping to step them through the site and the process. I'll know more soon - I'm thinking about going over tomorrow afternoon. We'll see.

Wish me luck!

dpool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.