colapsed walls. filled pool. is it worth

Jun 9, 2014
new york
Hello.
Bought house as is. Inground steel panels pool filled with dirt.
Tried dig a little and some panels look like colapsed. Some cracked parts of them here there..... maybe machine was driving when filling. Anyway... i was thinking to dig out. Repair or replace broken panels. Put new liner....
Maybe its not woth... better would be put new evertthing... or just go town to remove pool from papers???
what would you do?

I have very serious doubts the pool is salvageable. You can try digging around and see the condition of the walls. Then you have to check the condition of the floor. Then the condition of the plumbing and electrical. I strongly suspect it would be considerably less expensive to start from scratch. Even salvage of a filled gunite pool in relatively good condition was very expensive.

Read this thread (yeah its longer than War and Peace but in the end everyone goes swimming ) it documents a gunite salvage of a filled pool.

1963 pool resurection

pool is still on papers, so even if remove it, I guess need to remove all metals from ground and then call inspector.. i think.

i started digging around good looking walls, 2 ft down. they look fine not rusted, i was thinking that broken panels i would replace with new ones if possible to buy if not I could weld frame(angle bars) and cover it with galvanized sheet. would it be fine??

i wanted to do it myself. only would call proffesionals to put liner and adjust floor.

There are a lot of unknowns here, but if you have the skills and equipment to repair the steel walls and time to do it yourself, it may be worth doing. However even doing this you will not know what you are dealing with until you get into it. Those unknowns include condition of plumbing (will you need to dig up concrete to run new pipes?), Type of original floor vinyl liner pools may have floors made from sand, vermiculite, or various poolkrete type mixtures (thin lightweight cement). If the pool had been abandoned before being filled in you may be dealing with a collapsed wall at some point, if the liner was shot and not repaired you may be looking at large areas of eroded floor, etc. Then of course you get into needing all new equipment, ... Regardless you are likely looking at nearly a complete rebuild.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.