Vinyl Liner Wrinkles

Apr 14, 2009
Hello. I'm a newbee to this forum, but I've owned my pool (inground w/ vinyl liner) for 10 years. I'm looking forward to starting the BBB method this season and have just received my TF Test Kit!

My question is how do you know when to replace a vinyl liner? Last season I developed severe wrinkling in my deep end (sound painful, doesn't it), probably due to broadcasting a granular shock. I don't have any leaks, but can I do harm to the underlying bottom or side structure of the pool if a leak developes? Or, can I just use my wrinkly liner until a leak begins? The Polaris doesn't seem to mind the bumpy ride.

Thanks for the help.

I developed severe wrinkling in my deep end (sound painful, doesn't it),
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum. I think you can get by for a while with your liner like it is. I have not heard of wrinkles forming from chlorine chemistry but it does make some sense.

I would assume your liner has likely become brittle in those areas so you are correct that a leak may soon occur. However, you may go years and it could be fine.

The fact that your cleaner can hop over them ok would suggest they're pretty small but that's a guess.

Should it begin to leak, I believe it will do so slowly and you can replace the liner without harm to your pool.

Again, welcome.

That happened to my friend's new pool....bad pool chemistry/habits and the new liner got all wrinkled at the bottom, turned brittle, and the following spring developed a leak. This was after the first season, it held water all winter but by sping they would lose a few inches a day. Thankfully warranty and much complaining to the pool installer and they replaced the liner for free (blamed the defect on the bottom drain install). At the time I accepted it was the install, but knowing now what I do - I realize it's probably in large part due to their method of pool maintenance, use of trichlor, dichlor and low ph issues. My friend had a habit of shocking the pool with dichlor, forgetting that he had the bottom drain on "full", shutting off the pump, no circulation or brushing, and the granules would settle there concentrating all of the chlorine in the bottom right by the floor drain....hmmmm connection, perhaps? :shock:

Hopefully you'll get some additional use out of yours before you have to replace it.... :wink: Good luck. :)

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Hi Jim (and ruthie :wink: ) welcome to TFP!!

I like your attitude/ sense of humor :goodjob:

As Dave and Ann said, you've shortened the life expectancy of the liner, but it probably won't be a leak problem for a couple/ few years :)

When it does decide to leak, you'll see that you have to refill the pool more often :( Kepp an eye on haw much water you usually loose to evaporation and splashout/ normal use. When the water loss is noticeable, patch the hole (s) to see you through that season and save up to get a replacement liner.

What is the floor made of (vermiculite, sand, cement)? A slow leak will do ~ minimal damage to the floor, a large leak, or one that has existed for a couple of years, will do proportionately more damage - so, replacing the liner as soon as it fails will keep the floor more stable :wink:

Keep an eye on your water and enjoy the pool as long as you can but, be prepared to patch and then replace it once it starts failing.

Sorry :cry: that this happened!

Thanks to all for your help. My liner is somewhere between 13 and 15 years old, so I'm probably on borrowed time anyway. Got an eye opener from the company that installed the current liner when I asked for an estimate on installing a new liner - 10 large! Does that sound crazy or about right? (L shape, ~37' x 20' x 3' deep + 53' x 25' x 3'-8' deep) Anyway, thanks again to all and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions when I start BBB 'in.

I'm not sure (the boss tries to keep us away for how much he makes vs. what he pays us :grrrr: ) but- I think a custom liner installed runs ~$3500 + whatever extra he can add in for a few hours of bottom repair.

The liner shouldn't cost more than ~ $2000

Yeah, that sounded like a pretty healthy profit margin to me. Thanks for the info. Don't know if I would attempt to install a liner myself. I've replaced pumps and timers and multiports but a liner might be a bit above my pay grade. I'll keep looking for a more reasonable deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.