Salt for SWG

Only use the kind without additives. Some of the system saver salts have resins and other additives (like rust inhibiter) to protect the water softener. Plain old solar salt is cheap

You can use water softener salt as long as it is sodium chloride and doesn't have any additives. You don't want rust inhibiter or iron fighter or potassium chloride or anything like that. Crystals, in the blue bags, disolves a little faster.

I looked at some of the conditioner salt and they all had some type of additive, not sure how much as they were 99.8% NaCl.

I bought salt from the pools store. I then put 8 of the 10 bags into my pool and it turned pale green! Is this normal?

I have the pump running and brushed the floor, but as this salt is granular it disolved quickly. I checked my FC and it was 9ppm (rained today) so I bumped it up to 19ppm.

Here is hoping the green goes away.

Did you have chlorine in the water when you put in the salt. I have had some bad experiecnes with some 'Pool salt' that has contained iron! I only use the solar salt now or Morton or Diamond Crystal pool salt. I do not trust any of the off brands!

waterbear said:
I only use the solar salt now or Morton or Diamond Crystal pool salt.

Morton Solar Salt
water_soft_salt.gif

Diamond Solar Salt
dc_salt_water_cond_solarexcoar-1.jpg

Morton Pool Salt
pool-salt_lg.jpg

I used the morton solar salt for my pool. 80 pound bag at Home Depot was $8.00. I even had called Morton prior to install and asked them about the pool salt. They told me I would be fine with the solar salt. The difference is that the pool salt is ground up finer to dissolve quicker....maybe saving you 15-20 minutes. For the price of solar salt to pool salt (much more $) it was a no brainer for me.

Interesting I used the solar salt that the pool store sells. I did not see the others at Lowe's. It looks like it is clearing up now.

I after adding the salt I checked my FC and it was 9ppm so I upped it to 19ppm. I also ran the cleaner and it had lots of sand in it. Seems like the pool store salt may not be so pure after all. Figures.

This AM the pool water looks good, but there is still a green stain all around the edge/bottom of the pool where I poured the salt. There is also a strip of green from the edge to the main drain so I'm positive this was caused by the salt.

I had to backwash the filter this AM because the pressure was off the charts. I could not believe there was so much dirt/sand in the filter. That makes me so mad!

Here's hoping the stains go away sometime soon.

lovinhdtv,

Last week my salt reading was at 2400 do to me having to refill the pool due to splash out and evaporation. I went over to the Albertson's on Gattis and Red Bud and got the crystals (Isle #2 by the produce section). I bought a bag for my watersoftner and one bag for the pool. My reading went up to 2700. (My taste buds are very sensitive to salt). This did not effect the clearity of my water nor my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.