what happens if my inground liner over fills due to rain?

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
We're getting monsoon rains and I already drained 3" of water saturday.

Woke up this morning and the water level was 1" away from touching the T-track.

Would water get behind/under the liner and cause me major trouble if somehow the rain over filled my pool?

I do have french drains all around the decking so I'm not worried about that, just the worry that water would
penetrate UNDER the liner and float it making an awful tough mess to deal with.

I definitely will.

There was no way in you know what I was going to leave it at that level with more rain coming
before heading to work. Took ten minutes to drain it down to near "skimmer sucking air" level.

The water that comes from the pool overfilling won't hurt anything. It will only be the exact amount of water that would fall on the surface area of the pool if it was dirt, so there really isn't as much as you think.

If you are going to have heavy rain and a lot of groundwater, having the pool fill to the coping or above is the best scenario since having higher water pressure outside the liner than inside is what causes problems.

Careful here.
A few years ago we had so much rain that i was concerned about overflowing and was siphoning water our.
The ground became so saturated from the rain that it pushed the liner out.
Pool guy says I would have been better off keeping water level very high in the pool to prevent this water pushing from behind the liner !

I'm not worried about the ground level of water, just having it go above the T track getting behind the liner.

The pool is a concrete shell surrounded by a french drain (tons of gravel) and plus my entire house lot is about 8 feet above most
of the homes in my neighborhood.

I'm not worried about the ground level of water, just having it go above the T track getting behind the liner.

The pool is a concrete shell surrounded by a french drain (tons of gravel) and plus my entire house lot is about 8 feet above most
of the homes in my neighborhood.

It won't hurt anything. Ground water is behind the liner already, so all of the rain that falls outside the pool is going there anyway. The tiny amount coming from the pool won't make any difference.

Careful here.
A few years ago we had so much rain that i was concerned about overflowing and was siphoning water our.
The ground became so saturated from the rain that it pushed the liner out.
Pool guy says I would have been better off keeping water level very high in the pool to prevent this water pushing from behind the liner !

Now that you explain this I can see it. :)
I've always been under the impression one should avoid extra water behind the liner, but as others have corrected- the ground water is going to be high enough with all the rain the OP expects.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.