Vinyl liner installed over light

Alwayswantedapool

Platinum Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
York SC
For some reason the previous owners had the liner installed over the pool light. Thoughts on if the light could be but back in service without having to replace the liner? My assumption is the light is not functional and instead of fixing it, they just went over it. Thanks

I would guess about 2 feet. I see where you are going. I have been told to only drain to the top of the 2nd step and I know the light doesn't show up at that point. Could be more like 3 feet. I will measure in the morning

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I would wait until warm weather to do anything about it. They could have had a leak in the light niche that they didn't fix. If you don't know the age of the liner, waiting til warmer weather is better as the liner will be more pliable at that time.

Looking at some data, looks like the water table is at about 19 feet right now. I am not planning on doing anything right now, just working on my pool to do list and was wondering if it would even be feasible. Is the niche lined with the liner or does the liner go around the niche and then the niche has to be waterproof on its own. In other words wondering how big a deal it would be if the niche was leaking?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

The liner is normally cut around the light The liner does not go behind the vertical surface in any way. The niche is then included in your pool circulation, although minimal circulation. If there is a leak there, then it could be a problem. With your water table currently being low, you have options.

not to hijack the thread, but is it ok to have liner over the non-functional light?

when it's time to change my liner, i thought to have the light niche filled first and the covered with liner. but if leaving the light there is acceptable it might reduce the cost of replacing the liner for me. not sure how it would look though...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.