pool heater after plaster

How are the pebbles held in/on? Plaster. You will still need to brush it as it cures. There will be plaster dust. It is my understanding (I could be wrong) it is the plaster dust that causes the problem with the heater.

I do encourage you to do a search to make sure. I would also ask your PB. He is holding the warranty card so.........he words trumps ours!

Kim

There's two problems that can occur - a traditional plaster start which creates lots of plaster dust OR an acid start which eliminates plaster dust by dropping the pH very low. Both of those situations would be bad.

Since you should not use the heater while the plaster is curing, it's just good practice to leave it disconnected and bypassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

So far how long do we have to wait before we can heat

There's two problems that can occur - a traditional plaster start which creates lots of plaster dust OR an acid start which eliminates plaster dust by dropping the pH very low. Both of those situations would be bad.

Since you should not use the heater while the plaster is curing, it's just good practice to leave it disconnected and bypassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

See the TFP Plaster Startup Guide in PoolSchool for details. As Kim said, double check with your PB or the plaster subcontractor.

There are several issues related to the heater.

1) Plaster dust can scale the heat exchanger where water temperatures are higher than ambient.
2) Hotter water in the pool increases the risk of scaling in general by increasing the CSI.
3) Hotter water increases carbon dioxide offgassing, which raises the pH, and increases the risk of scaling.

Typically, you want to wait until the chemistry is well controlled and all plaster dust is gone. Three weeks should be sufficient if you follow good procedures.

Can you post all water chemistry results?

How hot do you want to go?

Call your heater warranty to see what THEY say. Notice that I am not willing to tell you "You can run your heater ?? days after filling". I do NOT want you to say "But Kim said I could" if something goes wrong :slidehalo:

Hugs! I know you want to get in a warm pool as soon as it is finished! Guess you have to think long term over short term.

Kim

Reactions: CoachAlex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ran mine a week after plaster.... I am the pool guy though :). I did ask the plaster guy and he said go for it. I am not telling you to do it but I had no issues at all. I would do what the pool guy says so you stay in warranty.

A lot of issues like these are "best practices". Will your pool collapse if you don't follow them? No. Will some aspect, or aspects of it be compromised to some degree? Sure, probably. Completely not helpful I realize but just a perspective.

Reactions: Surfsambo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.