Why do you use skimmer socks?

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
Asking a question for understanding....

Why do people put stuff like a hair net or skimmer sock into the skimmer baskets? I'm not understanding how putting something else into the water flow system provides a benefit. So the sock or hairnet fills up instead of the basket. What do they do differently that is a benefit?

So much of what is filtered in your pool is minute small schmutz like pollen. If you catch it before it gets to the filter, you save the filter from excess dirtying and required backflushing to clear it out.

Also those of us with pine tree needles know how they can slip through the small slots of the skimmer basket, so we're protecting the pump from them or from potential clogs in our pipes.

Checking them is easy-peasy. I admire my pool at least once a day and checking the skimmer socks is no big deal.

I particularly love them because the last thing I want to do is backwash my filter. I only use rainwater for my fill (except once every few years) because my fill water is metal-rich. Skimmer socks help me maintain my water levels by keeping my filter cleaner.

Reactions: Vukota12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.