Need paint help - 'glass pool

RASelkirk

Jul 11, 2015
Port Neches, TX
Hi All,

Hope this in the proper section. I have a 1992 FG inground 18k gal pool that was gel-coated and epoxy-painted in 2008. Gel coat appears to be fine, but there are quite a few spots where the paint has disappeared. I can always go back to the first crew that did the work (very $$$), but have been in contact with an outfit that's been around since 1990 and is considerably cheaper. I'm not getting good vibes from this group though, besides a "language barrier", they are recommending Smart Seal 431 "DuraSeal" which clearly states for concrete/plaster. I'm thinking I need to tell this outfit "thanks anyway" and just pay the exorbitant price to get it done right.

Anybody know about this DuraSeal stuff, can it be used on fiberglass?

Thanks!

Russ

I have no hands on experience with paint. The forum abounds with failure after failure of paint very early (Like 2-3 years)

Because you got 7 good years from the first job, I think that may be as good as it gets and I would pay the money.....cringing just a little when I did.

Probably money well spent.

Found out Smart Seal has 3 different lines, and I'm hoping they sent me a link to the "Aqua" line for color purposes only (as that was what I had asked for). Haven't heard from them since it's the weekend, hoping they are planning on using their "Dura" epoxy line. There's only a $35/gal difference, but years as far as durability...

Russ

Finally got 'er done! Lucky for me, the bozos I had contacted got cold feet so I went back to the people who originally built the pool. From first contact to done was about three weeks, the actual work was three days. They (American Pools in Houston, TX) use "Fibex" resin which is hard to find info on. The one page I did find (another company) gives a 25 year warranty. This blue is lighter than the last paint job, but the same as it was stock. They got here Wed at 08:00 and pulled out Fri at 13:00, $5200 later. Filled Fri from 13:00 to 21:00, maybe 1/4 full. My pool takes 8 bags of salt, so I added 2 bags Sat morning and started filling again. Added a bag every 2 hours or so while pulling off the bottom drain. Here's a pic of how clear the water is about 2/3 full. Finishing up at 17:00 tonight, about 45 minutes to go...

Russ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.