Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All,

I'm in the market for some new low voltage (12VAC) landscape lighting transformers. I currently have two Solos 200W models (built-in photosensor and countdown timer) but I'm not liking them (LED displayed burned out within first season). I have many options for control since these are located near my pool panel. I could use stand-alone types with photosensors and count down timers like the ones I currently have. They just plug into my 120V GFCI utility outlet mounted on the pool panel. Another option is that I have some open relays in the pool automation and I could use the EasyTouch relays to turn on and off the lighting. In that case all I would need is the transformer without any photosensor. The downside is losing the automatic photosensor and having to adjust time on/off four times per year as the daylight hours shift. Of course, if they had a photosensor then that could still function with the automation panel controlling the time on/off...

So I'm looking for some feedback on what people have used reliably. I'd like to get as much longevity out of these transformers as possible. Also, if anyone has any particular feelings on stand-alone versus pool panel automation, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Matt

I have my low voltage lighting on my Irrtrol landscape irrigation system. I have the PC Control 12 which allows me two lighting "circuits". I can set it to come on at sunset and go off at a predetermined time or sunrise. Its all controlled by a program on my laptop. I have two Intermatic pool rated transformers. You can use the pool automation but mine is full.

Thanks for ideas. I've been thinking of upgrading my current X-Core irrigation controller with something that I can connect to via wifi. I'll give Irritrol a good look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Yeah, that might be the way to go for me. All I really need is the transformer as I can use the EasyTouch for control purposes. I would be nice to integrate a photosensor into it....something to tinker with I suppose.....

I ran the wiring from the relay to a generic photocell and then on to the transformer. Set the timer to come on around 4PM, photocell handles it from there...timer shuts it off.

The photocells are inexpensive if they go out and I've had great luck with the PX300s.

I ran the wiring from the relay to a generic photocell and then on to the transformer. Set the timer to come on around 4PM, photocell handles it from there...timer shuts it off.

The photocells are inexpensive if they go out and I've had great luck with the PX300s.

Thanks, that sounds like a good setup. Any particular photocell make & model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I'm impressed with my Vista Pro 600 (600 watts) transformer which includes the photocell and timer. Lifetime warranty. I'm running a variety (15) of Kichler halogen landscape lights off it.

Both the Vista MT and CTS transformers are quality multi tap transformers.

I'm impressed with my Vista Pro 600 (600 watts) transformer which includes the photocell and timer. Lifetime warranty. I'm running a variety (15) of Kichler halogen landscape lights off it.

Both the Vista MT and CTS transformers are quality multi tap transformers.

Thanks. I'll give those brands a look. I probably don't need more than my current 200W units as I run all LED landscape lighting. Even my 50W-equivalent LED spot lights only use about 4.5W of power.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wasn't sure if you had a pair of 300 watt transformers.

FYI: $455 for the Vista Pro 300 with Photo Cell CTS 300 RP. As is the case with the Vista transformers, the timer is a plug in vs integrated into the transformer which is nice as it avoids dumping he transformer becuz of the timer going bad. Mine came with a mechanical timer...switched it out for an inexpensive digital timer. The photo cell is also a replaceable plug in module with countdown timer. ($37).

Still not happy with LED cost of replacement nor some of the LED designs vs halogen, though it has been a while since I looked into advances in LED lighting. I did a cost comparison energy wise between LED and halogn. With the small amount of time I have them running, not a significant savings with the LED. I actually prefer the Halogen bulbs becuz of the heat...evaporates the landscape water that falls onto some of my up lighting spots.

- - - Updated - - -

I sometimes wonder if pool owners realize just how much of a visual impact is made with even just a few low voltage spots placed around the yard...even lighting up a plain wall with a splash of light really can create some real visual snap to one's backyard when the sun goes down.

I sometimes wonder if pool owners realize just how much of a visual impact is made with even just a few low voltage spots placed around the yard...even lighting up a plain wall with a splash of light really can create some real visual snap to one's backyard when the sun goes down.

I have landscape lighting around my pool to illuminate the boundary of the pool, throw some light on the waterfall and light up a few trees (orange and Flowering Plum). I also have lighting in the rest of the back yard around the BBQ area and the second waterfall (yes, over my objection, the wife wanted a second, separate rock waterfall near the fire-pit which is a royal PITA to keep clean and running but that's for another thread).

I absolutely need lighting or else my back and side yards just look like black holes.

I recently purchased a "bestprolighting" 300W transformer. It has built in timer and a photo eye that's replaceable but I'll be bypassing the timer control feature as I will be connecting it to my Jandy Z4 automation system. But I'll set a early start time on my automation and allow the photo eye to control the turn on since I don't want to bother with changing the start times throughout the year on the automation. For $120 and a lifetime warranty it's the low cost winner for sure.
http://www.bestprolighting.com/transformers-c-5/300w-multi-tap-stainless-steel-transformer-12v-15v-p-20

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.