Pump setting when close to freezing

Meaty

Sep 8, 2015
South West Florida
It's going to be about 36 for the low tonight. My pump doesn't appear to have a freeze guard so my thought is ill set the timer to run all night (7 pm to 10 am) at 1725 rpm to ensure nothing freezes

is this the best option?

thanks

36F is not freezing. Even if the air temp hits 32F, it takes a lot of time for water in PVC pipes to freeze. How long will the temps remain low? If it's just a few hours overnight and then back above freezing by morning, then you hardly need any freeze protection at all.

I would check weather.com for your local conditions and then only set the pump to run when the predicted air temp hits it's low. For me, that's often 3 or 4am before the temps dip to freezing and then they're back up by 8am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

That is most likely a don't sue us if the temperature sensor breaks type statement, which is understandable as they do break. In general I would tend to say the safest thing is to simply run the pump on low setting if the forecast calls for possible freezing temperatures, because we all know the forecast can sometimes be off by a number of degrees.

Didn't notice the disclaimer, still if it will let you lower the set point to say 33F you might want to enable it could be a good safety net. I agree with Isaac, first program I created was from 4:00AM to 6:00AM since that is when it gets coldest where I live.

Depending on what extent you want to go to an additional option is if you have a little bit of electrical aptitude you can connect a normally open 32F thermostat to one of the low voltage terminals described on page 16. When the temp drops the thermostat closes a contact and starts the pump. A mechanical example is johnson controls a19abc-24c but there are even inexpensive bimetal versions that could work albeit less accurate you can get digital versions that are super accurate but of course they would have to be powered and if not outdoor rated would need an enclosure. Point is many options out there[FONT=Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.