Replacing existing copper returns and skimmers and adding dedicated suction line

RT67

Dec 4, 2015
San Diego/Ca
Hi, I have an existing pool built in 60's. In great shape except all the lines are copper and skimmers are bad. I have removed all the lines from pool to equipment pad. I want to just run new 2" schedule 40 along the exact same lines as the old.
Questions:
1). What is the best way to remove the copper returns left in the shell walls? Core around them? Demo with Jack Hammer (carefully) :)
2). Once they are removed whats the best way to patch them back in again for new finish?
3) If I want to add a new dedicated suction line, whats the best way to do that through the existing shell.

My main need for help is just addressing the old, new openings in the shell.

Thanks all, your knowledge is appreciated.

Can we get a picture or two.

I would select the skimmer you want to use and then carefully saw cut around the old skimmer and then jack out old skimmer. You should probably hire a concrete guy with a lot of demo experience to do this to minimize the damage. A good concrete guy can do miracles in the right situation.

Why do you want a dedicated suction line? In the pool? I would strongly suggest a robot. Less energy use and much less work.

Do you have a main drain? With all the work on your pool your City or County will probably require you to remove the main drain or make it compliant with existing law.

Agreed, the dedicated line will in fact be for the automated floor cleaner robot.

I do have an existing main drain but was planning to remove it and just go with skimmers and 4 returns. Its a big pool, (44K) so that's why I would like to add one additional return to go along with the three it had. I'm just not sure whether to core around the existing to install new ones, with new plumbing, or jack hammer them out. Then I need to understand what I need to do in order to make sure the new ones are patched back in correctly.
House 008.jpg

Attachments

• House 007.jpg
    House 007.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 38
WOW what a lot of work you have already done! The patio take out alone!

I have to say I agree with gwegan........find a pro to guide you...who know he might work for steak and beer!

I can't wait to see more of this remodel! Make sure to share LOTS of pics with us!

Kim

Thanks, Mount Helix . Not far from Mission Valley. I know it well!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, its not what you would call a ....Small project :) Going to build a bunch of retaining walls out of the patio concrete to re-use it...

Ill keep pics coming !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.