Cavitation

Dec 3, 2015
Danville Ca
I have problem with the pump cavitation . I have checked for suction leaks and had a leak detection company out to test and they have found no leaks.I have snaked the suction line from the skimmer back to the pump. Blown the line out with water pressure and air. Replaced pump lid gasket and replaced impeller on pump. Running out of ideas. Next step is to run a temporary line from the suction side of the pump directly into the pool to see if the problem disappears. When pump is running can see lot of bubbles thru lid on pump and have to bleed filter of air every 30 minutes. Problem started out of the blue. No resent changes were make to pool equipment. May try to install filer cartridges but I have a feeling this wont help. Running out ideas.If anybody has experienced this problem and resolved it please let me know what you did.
Thanks
[email protected]

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I doubt your pump is cavitating as that occurs only under some extreme conditions.

I do believe you have a suction side leak and have just not found it yet. The most common place is the pump basket lid and the O-ring that seals it. Have you read the article in Pool School on suction leaks? It may help.

Are the drain plugs at the bottom of the pump screwed in snugly (but not over-tight?)

Once you are sure the pump is sealed, you just keep working back towards the skimmer checking absolutely every possibility for a suction leak.

It is also possible for your pool water level to be too low and the suction leak will be the skimmer sucking air.

Can you please list your pool equipment in your signature. It's hard to help diagnose a problem if we have no idea what type of pump you have or your filter type/size.

Please read the Read This BEFORE You Post article in Pool School

When pump is running can see lot of bubbles thru lid on pump and have to bleed filter of air every 30 minutes.
That does NOT mean you have cavitation. You only get that with an air leak. Cavitation can only be heard and not seen in a pool pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.