Pressure jumping for no apparent reason.

Dec 2, 2015
Hockley/Texas
I just recently had a new sand filter installed (which was a nightmare because of the repair guy), and after I got everything running, it appeared to be running well. After a few hours the pressure jumped from approximately 15 PSI to 35 PSI. I backwashed and rinsed and it appeared to fix the problem. The pressure jumped not long after the backwash, so I turned the pump off and ensured everything was tight. When I turned the pump on, the pressure was back to normal. Long story short, whenever the pressure jumps, all I have to do is turn the pump off for a minute and the pressure returns to normal. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your issue is most always a water quality issue.
Long story short, whenever the pressure jumps, all I have to do is turn the pump off for a minute and the pressure returns to normal.
When you turn the pump off, there is a pretty dramatic "bump" inside the filter that temporarily dislodges the debris you are collecting. When you turn the pump back on, the pressure is normaql because the debris has not yet lodged back into the sand.

Again, it is a water quality issue almost for sure.

Thanks for the link. I have gotten this pool from a light green with a old filter that had play sand to a cloudy blue with a new filter (with the correct sand) and a lot of sampling. Hoping to get this thing up to par soon. I know it is a process. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.