Please help me select a pool cover

Aug 20, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm currently getting bids to replace our cover for our neighborhood in-ground pool. The shape is a custom "figure 8," about 60 feet long and about 18 feet wide at the narrowest spot (the "neck"). I've already gone through the tedious process of collecting the AB measurements to get bids.

Coping is brick with a smooth, bullnose edge. No obstructions. Anchors are sunk in the concrete deck, and I plan to use the existing cover as a template when I ultimately buy, so it should be relatively simple to get a good match.

First, I'd appreciate thoughts on material. We currently have a solid cover. This makes cleaning on open relatively easy, but running the pump is a pain (we're a neighborhood, so people have to drive by and check the cover periodically). I'm considering a 99% mesh cover, or maybe a solid cover with a mesh drain. Thoughts?

Second, I've gotten bids so far for an HPI Aqua Master Solid 10yr Warranty cover (both drain and pump versions), and a GLI ProMesh 99% 15yr Warranty cover. Thoughts on these brands/covers?

I'll add more as I get more bids. Thanks!

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that this pool is in Kansas, so weather is unpredictable. Winters range from mild/dry to cold/wet. No big trees near the pool, but that Kansas wind will definitely blow some leaves into the depression of the pool cover.

Ok, now I've got the following quotes, with approximate prices:
- GLI Pro Mesh 99% (15yr): $5800
- HPI Aqua Master Solid (10yr): $5,700 (drain), $6,200 (pump)
- Meyco Rugged Mesh 99% (12yr): $7,000
- Meyco PermaGuard Solid (12yr): $7,300 (drain), $7,400 (pump)

Apparently GLI doesn't make custom solid covers big enough for our pool.

Thoughts?

I am in the process of researching a cover, my 22x33 foot I was quoted $1500 for everything (non installed) for a Latham 7000ms cover.. Looks like a good quality cover with a good warning,, I can get a local company to install it for about $1000.
I just can't get any concrete reviews on it.

I would recommend 95% mesh. It will allow water to filter thru. If you are hoping to use existing anchors, then you need to mark every single one on the AB plot. One thing to remember is a cover of this size will and should have several crossing puts for extra strength. Be prepared that you might need extra anchors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.