Jandy Positive or Non-Positive

May 22, 2008
Hi, I'm another migrant from the other pool site. I've been lurking for awhile and finally have a question the search button couldn't answer.

This winter a branch fell off a tree over my filter, and broke the handle off of one of the Jandy valves.
Well, actually it broke the top of the diverter off where the handle screws in. The valve is a Jandy gray 3-way valve.
My question is, how do I know if it is a Positive or Non-Positive seal?

It has a o-ring type seal on the face of the valve that would lead me to believe it is a Positive seal. It also has a grease cup on the outside of the valve.

Is there a way to tell for sure? There is a big price difference between the two types and the local pool store isn't much help.

Welcome to TFP!

A Jandy gray valve with a grease cup is normally sold as a non-positive seal valve. They can be upgraded to positive seal, which also upgrades them to neverlube, by getting the positive seal kit.

Cool, thanks.
What is the advantage to a positive seal?
The valve in question controls which skimmer (or neither) gets fed the the pump.
I never turn off both skimmers, but I do turn one off when I hand vac.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.