Recently purchased house with trouble pool

Hi all

So I bought a house and moved into the property last week Saturday.

Having viewed the house a few months before, the pool was perfect. Blue and crystal clear.

We live in Johannesburg South Africa, and the area was hit by a massive hail storm... when we moved into the house the pool was green and cloudy. Couldn't even see the first step (about 1ft deep)... pic attached. About 6 floaters on the surface( which I pulled out immediately)

The pump wasn't running (which I fixed), backwashed and rinsed, and bombed the pool with about 12 cups of chlorine

Then i took a sample to a pool store down the road from me. The guy sold me about 3 litres of clarifier and 3 litres of something else to toss in the pool. Also fixed my barracuda mx-8 while I was at it. His test said chlorine was too high (obvious), stabiliser was way too high (from those floater things), and ph was a bit low.

I got home, and the mx-8 was stuck. The whole pool floor was covered in leaves and debris from the hail storm. Not being able to see the bottom I scooped and vacuumed as much of the rubbish up as I could, and then added the chemicals according to directions.

By Tuesday, the pool hadn't even budged colour, but the mx-8 was getting stuck less and less, must have emptied the filter baskets at least 100 times in two days. Lol. Topped up the pool with borehole water.

A friend arrived, with two products from HTH. Green to Blue, and Clarifier. Tossed all of that in the pool one shot. Pic of the result in action...

I tested (HTH pool kit as sold here http://www.hth.co.za/index.php/hth-products2/equipment),

free chlorine was at about 5 ppm, suddenly almost no stabiliser, and ph below 7, total alkalinity bottom of the scale.

Went to the pool shop and bought alkalinity up, threw in what was supposed to be enough, and after 24 hours, I noticed a tiny change after test, but not nearly enough to get it in the correct range.

Anyways, the mx-8 was still getting stuck all the time, so I thought I would spend the time getting rid of all possible debris rather. Got an inline filter on the vacuum line to make emptying easier, and set to work with the vacuum attachment on filter for about a day. Pulled another ton of leaves and sticks out of the pool doing that.

Must have backwashed 40 times in the last week to get rid of all the muck that was settling to the bottom from those clarifying products.

Now, the pool has turned blue slowly. I'm going to the shop after work to get the stabiliser and alkalinity products I need to get those levels right, but heres my problem now. (pic is about 2 days old, its even bluer now)

The pool is murky, maybe 3-4ft visibility at best from the surface. There seems to be remnants of the clarifying products still in the water, because at both outlets there is light frothing of the water all the time. When I throw chlorine in in the mornings, it seems to be held in suspension, I can see it floating around on top and in the water...

I was advised to throw in HTH extreme flocculant (but after reading here have decided not to). Left the pool running all day, so will see when I get home what it looks like...

Has anyone got any advice for me? I can't seem to get these nice testing kits like you get in the states, but the HTH kit gives me FC, PH, Acid Demand, and TA levels...

Hi,
Welcome to TFP.
Hopefully you can get your pool fixed up and enjoy it, as it should be.

The remedy is going be to Raise the FC level in the pool and KEEP it raised until all of the algae is killed and filtered out of the pool.
The delimma as you know is the lack of good testing. Accurate testing is key.

in your above post you say
" His test said chlorine was too high (obvious), stabiliser was way too high (from those floater things), and ph was a bit low."
and then later you mention
"free chlorine was at about 5 ppm, suddenly almost no stabiliser, and ph below 7, total alkalinity bottom of the scale."

This is why we do not trust pool store testing.
There isnt any miracle cure for high stabilizer. It doesn't just miraculously disappear.

Somehow you really need to determine what the CYA really is, and then proceed from there

Him Kim and Dave

The only thing I have to test CYA right now are test strips... Its what I have (I know its not ideal), but is it better than nothing??

Or I must go back to another pool shop and see if they sell better kits...

Currently shopping online for bulk bleach, borax and bicarbonate of soda :D.

Online for bleach??????? The shipping is going to hurt on that one! You don't have a place that sells household bleach? Just plain bleach, NO smells or splashless, just plain bleach.

Can you ship anything from the states using usaship (I think that is what it is)? I will do some digging to find it when I get home. There is a company one of the members used to get a good test kit.

On your location can you make it so everyone knows/remembers you are in South Africa? THAT is going to play into what you can get and use.

The test strips are just barely better than nothing BUT by NO means good.

Kim

OK guys and gals

Got my total alkalinity and pH levels right over the course of yesterday afternoon and evening... Will test again this afternoon when back from work to see how stable those readings are.

Will definitely check out these shipping sites to get myself a proper kit.. It's frustrating to be half guessing with regards to FC and CYA, but doing what I can.

I have a question... I have an inline filter on the vacuum line to the mx-8.. It works extremely well in terms of stopping leaves and debris before the weir/skimmer... Is this recommended?

Also, the pump is below water level by quite a lot, with no isolation valves. When I open the pump to check the basket, water syphons out like crazy and it's a dangerous / messy affair. I want to install valves to isolate the pump from the pool to prevent this..

Now, I'll need to block the skimmer and outlets in the pool while I do the valve install... Is there a recommended way to do this? I was thinking thick plastic bag material and cable ties around the outlets, but how to stop the skimmer from flowing water through?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post a pic of your equipment?

Also, this comment confused me: "I have an inline filter on the vacuum line to the mx-8.. It works extremely well in terms of stopping leaves and debris before the weir/skimmer... Is this recommended?" Can you clarify this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are going to laugh and shake your head but I have a way to block the returns..............carrots or potatoes! Just make sure they are big enough to NOT get sucked in. You can whittle them down to fit into the hole.

For the skimmer you can use a tennis ball.

Kim (I can hear it now..."honey can you pick up ?? carrots for the pool on your way home today?")

You are going to laugh and shake your head but I have a way to block the returns..............carrots or potatoes! Just make sure they are big enough to NOT get sucked in. You can whittle them down to fit into the hole.

For the skimmer you can use a tennis ball.

Kim (I can hear it now..."honey can you pick up ?? carrots for the pool on your way home today?")

I am laughing I have to admit, but it's a brilliant idea!

wow, I'd shop vac the debris out of your electrical box as soon as possible and
try to get a new cover.

If any of that got wet you could have a short.

Maybe clean up/remove those disconnected wires too.

Believe me I KNOW your pain on buying something "that" way. BUT the good part is.............I bet you got it for amazing price!!!

Keep those before pics so you can share with everyone how YOU fix it up!

Now please go clean out that wire box--------scary! LOL

It that a screen area with the fancy white chair?

Kim

I can't touch the installation itself until the house transfers into my name, so the leaves will come out and a cover installed, but the wiring has to stay as is for a while. Freaks me out as well

Yeah it's our lapa area, I'll take proper pics when I've cleaned it up a little :) it's huge

Will you have to do much work inside the house? We had to do something to EVERY room of our house. Thankfully we were able to do it all ourselves!

Just think............while and after you do the yard work you can just jump in the pool to cool off! I have been known to jump in fully clothed while I am in the middle of mowing! (I have 6.5 acres so there is a LOT of mowing to do!)

When will you get the keys?

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Here is a link for you. I DO wonder about the sand. That is something you will want to check into. Do you have ANY contact with the former owners or caretakers of the pool? Is there an almost empty bag of sand laying around?

Kim

There is some work in the house... Mostly electrical (things work but the finishing is shoddy)

Haha we don't have 6 acres, but 2300 m3 in the middle of residential is plenty right now... The house itself is 900m3 under roof so enough space for my toys! Haha

No bags of sand, old owner is difficult... It feels grainy, like river sand, large particles..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.