Filter pump wont turn off; filter pump relays keep burning out/breaking

Nov 29, 2015
Plano texas
All,

I have a Jandy Aqualink RS pool control system. I have replaced the pump filter relay approximately twice now and the same problem keeps arising where the pump wont turn off. I will replace the relay; it works for about a week; then stops shutting off the pump according to the schedule.

Any ideas? Everything else working fine. Whats causing the relay to burn out too quickly.

thanks for reading .

You have some problem, probably the pump motor that is causing too much current to pass through the contacts in your pump relay and thus causing the relay contacts to weld themselves together and preventing the pump motor from stopping then the relay is de-energized. One thing in the pump motor to cause this problem is if the centrifugal switch in the motor is not switching out the start windings after the motor is up to speed and causing the motor to draw much more current than normal.

Poolmd1,

What Gary300 said makes sense, but it would help if you provided a little more info.

1. Has your system been working fine for some time and just now has this problem?

2. What recent changes have you made?

3. What kind of pump are you controlling and at what voltage.

4. Is anything other than the pump wired to the filter relay.

5. Is your replacement relay a factory replacement or just a "relay".

6. What size circuit breaker does the pump power come from?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.