yellow stains keep coming back

Apr 3, 2015
Naples, FL
A couple of months ago I was careless and let the chlorine get to 0. The floor and walls turned yellow. So I brushed the stains off and brought the chlorine back to normal. But the stains keep slowly coming back, though the numbers look good. Is a shock necessary once the stains appear? Is that why it keeps coming back? What ppm will be sufficient? Also, will a shock get rid of the stains that are there now on its own or will I still need to brush it off?

You need to do a SLAM. It should be a fast one at this time of year with the lower temps. Here is a link. Please note this is a process instead of a one time shock and done. The most important part of the SLAM is the M=maintain. Maintain the FC level at the SLAM level until the SLAM is done.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Make sure to keep brushing to get the algae out and into the bleach.

Let us know how it is going!

Kim

I'd suggest not only SLAMing, but understanding why you're slamming the pool and how you got to where you are by reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry which you can find in my signature.

Sounds like you have Mustard Algae.

The SLAM will take care of it. (did one myself with mustard last june)

Its a good idea to do the overnight chlorine loss tests a few times/days to be sure
when you get to that point.

Don't forget to brush daily...twice if you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.