Globrites or Spa Lights for Tanning Ledge?

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
I'm looking for some opinions (preferably from those that have either of these lights) to help me decide between going with 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G Spa Lights vs. 2 Pentair Globrites for my tanning ledge. First, let me say that our "tanning ledge" will be 14" deep. I realize that's not really a tanning ledge, but after trying several ledge depths, this is the depth we like.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Globrites, but not 100%. Things I've considered:

1. The Spa Lights seem to have a bigger housing than the Globrites, which I think would make them more visible during the day than the Globrites. Point for Globrites.
2. The Spa Lights run about $500 ea. vs. the Globrites at about $250 ea. (Amazon prices). Several points for Globrites.
3. The Globrites are well below the minimum depth (4 in.). The Spa Lights are close (about 16" to top of lens vs. 18" recommended), but I think will work.
4. Since the Spa Lights are a bit bigger, I'm thinking they may produce a wider beam angle than the Globrites. Due to the shape of the ledge and the light placement, a wider beam angle would be better (not concerned about beam range due to short ledge extension into pool). However, I'm not sure this is true. Maybe the Globrites would produce a wide enough beam angle to flood the ledge area. I've got a question into Pentair asking about the beam angle of both.

Below is a drawing of the ledge with a few dimensions. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated!

Isn't there a concern here one of compatibility? GloBrites have a completely different (low profile, long depth) niche requirement whereas Intellibrites will fit into a standard halogen lamp niche? In other words, if you install Globrites, that's it, you can only ever put Globrites in the niche (unless some other manufacturer adopts the same niche format). Also, what are lumen output differences and color temperature differences for the white portion of the light (warm white @ 2700K or bright "daylight" 5000K)?

6c30c86e16740bde191760752d1acf0c.jpg

727c1bb44e9a73ea8dee8a7e097a565e.jpg

The main thing is lighting tanning/Baja shelves. I am really glad i did a globrite in each shelf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks azjoshers for posting those pics. It looks like one Globrite covers the area pretty well on your ledge without the step. On your other ledge with the step there only seems to be a small dark spot, but it's not bad. That's almost the same exact shape I'm looking to have in mine. What is the depth of that main ledge?

Isn't there a concern here one of compatibility? GloBrites have a completely different (low profile, long depth) niche requirement whereas Intellibrites will fit into a standard halogen lamp niche? In other words, if you install Globrites, that's it, you can only ever put Globrites in the niche (unless some other manufacturer adopts the same niche format). Also, what are lumen output differences and color temperature differences for the white portion of the light (warm white @ 2700K or bright "daylight" 5000K)?

You make some good points Matt. I'm not sure about the color temperature of "white", but I know what you're saying. Generally speaking, I much prefer a more amber tone (~2300K) on my "white" LED lights to mimic the warmth of incandescents. I checked the operating manual, but of course it does not mention it. I would have to imagine though that the color options would be the same as the Spa lights since they both use the Intellibrite lighting controller. So, I think regardless of which one I go with, this may not be a deciding factor.

As far as only being able to put Globrites back in the niches, I think I'm fine with that. I think the same holds true for the smaller Spa lights. Other manufacturers' lights may fit in that smaller niche, but they wouldn't be in the Pentair Intellibrite family, which is what my other 3 main pool lights will be (5G's), so for that reason (control synchronizing), I'm kind of stuck with whichever one I decide on anyway.

The main ledge is 18 inches and the other one is about 11

Thanks azjoshers. We're looking at going with 14", so that's pretty comparable.

For those interested I was able to get a spread sheet from my contact at Pentair, which states the following horizontal beam angles:

IntelliBrite 5G Pool (Color) - 140°
IntelliBrite 5G Spa (Color) - 120°
GloBrite (Color) - 100°

So, as I suspected, the 5G Spa light does produce a slighter wider beam angle. However, the same spread sheet states that the Globrite has a 612 lumen output vs. a 400 lumen output for the 5G Spa. Respectively, 6500K vs. 4700K color temperature. Pro's and con's with each, but all things considered, I think I'll go with the Globrites for the tanning ledge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.