new resident with a pool, don't have any idea how to operate

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I have just moved into a new resident with a pool + spa attached and I've been doing some research on some basic pool operation. However, I am really stuck and would like the community's guidance.

Before even moving to how to clean and chemical balance of water, I think I need support in how to even operate the water. Ive attached a few picture of the pool and its filter operation. I think I've messed up a few times already because the water level is much lower compared to when I moved in.

There is a total of two Jandy Value that controls the pool and spa, there is no heater attached. Based on trial and error, I know that the 1st/top value controls water going to either the pool or spa. One side is spa and one side is pool.

The problem I have is with the bottom value, both left and right engage the filter, one side bring it up to 10 PSI? the other 20 PSI. However, I do not know the setting for waste, raise, backwash, filter.

Also, how do I raise the overall water level of the pool?

Thanks. 20151126_122041.jpg20151126_122102.jpg20151126_122120.jpg20151126_122143.jpg20151126_122047.jpg

HI! I love your user name! We can get you all set up on how to care for your pool!

I can help with one thing-------------put a hose in the pool and turn it on. That is the main way to raise the water. Some pools have an autofill. I am not sure what they look like but.......since your water has gone down I am going to guess you do not have one. As to why the water went down I am going to guess evaporation. I am going to have to add water to my pool tomorrow here in Flordia.

Do you have a vacuum or such for the pool? (long hose that a "head" goes onto)

I think I see some algae on the sides of your pool. You really need to get ahead of that before your pool turns to a swamp. For right now brush the pool and add some bleach.

We really need to know your pool size to help you out. You also need to order a good test kit. Look in my siggy for where to buy them from. If that is algae you will need to get the TF-100 XL.

Kim

An overall picture of your pool and an overall picture of your equipment pad would be good.. You have a pool and spa but no heater?

The other valve controls the suction. The water coming from the pool or spa to the pump. is there a drain in the bottom of the spa? The bottom of the pool? Is there a skimmer?

Buy a test kit -- The one in Kim's signature is the best. Read Pool School. We can educate you.

I think that is a cartridge filter so it has no settings for backwash or rinse. I need a picture of the whole equip paq.

Thank you all for your reply. I've already gotten the necessary chemical and test kit, I understand the necessary investment. However, the first thing I want to resolve is the operation of the water flow, since the water level is getting bit low.

Based on reading the label on the filter, it is a Diatomaceous Earth Pool Filter. The spa used to have a heater but the previous owner of the house removed. it.

I think there is a drain on the bottom of the spa, because I remember one time the water in the spa got completely drain. There is also a skimmer for the pool, but it is no use right now because the water level is too low for any water to go to the skimmer.

I've looked at a lot of other pool operation video on youtube, but most of them have one control with clean label. As you can see from the picture above, there are no labels.

Also, based on the comment above, if the water is drain from the pool, does that mean I have to add in extra water externally? Is there usually no direct water source to a pool or spa?

Thanks for all of your help, I am trying to figure my way around this at this time.

I would say that most pools have to use an external water source to add water. Most just throw a hose in and let it add the water needed. I set a timer inside the house to keep with me as I work around the yard to remind me to check the water level. I know my water pressure after 13 years here at the house so know how much water will be added in 30 mins.

There are some pools that have an autofill. I don't know what they look like BUT your pool does not have one or it is not working if your water is that low.

You REALLY need to get more water in your pool (half way up the skimmer face) and get the pump going.

Once you get your water level up so you can run the pump. Once that is done we can help you figure out the workings of your equipment.

Kim

Which test kit did you go with? Did you get the Soeed Stir too? Great piece of equipment.

How quickly did your water go down? And how many inches? Primary reasons are evaporation (slow this time of year), inadvertent excessive back washing, a leak or vacuuming to waste.

All,

I think the water level went down about 10 inches. I am not sure why the water went down, could be because I used the filter equipment incorrectly. At this time, I have not even break out the vacuum yet.

The water is now being refill with a hose, should probably take about an hour. What is the next step after that? I think I should probably turn on the water filtering unit for a bit since I have not run it for about 2 weeks. However, I want to ensure I don't drain all of those water as well.

I am trying to add additional picture, but I guess my quota is fill already :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Avenger

a couple of above comments make me thing your DE filter multiport valve may not be in correct position.
There is Backwash, Filter, Circulate, Waste ... maybe another on there ....

EDIT: I just saw your pics on the image hosting site.
Is there not a multi-port valve on your DE Filter ? Ive never seen one that didnt have some way to backwash, bump, or whatever.

OK - after looking further into the Pentair 2000 online, there are two basic models. The SM and the SMBW.
The SMBW requires a Multi Port Valve, the SM does not.

Around on the other side, is there a metal lever at the bottom? If not, then you dont have a rotary valve. Here is a video I found of the SMBW. Cleaning a Pentair 2000 Series Filter - YouTube
END EDIT:

The Jandy Valve
The bottom one is switching the suction flow between the Skimmer and the Main Drain (drains are not actually drains, they circulate water only).
The Top one you have figured out.

Regarding refilling the pool. There is no 'standard' by the Pool Builder. An autofill is offered as an option. Some elect to have it, some dont. So dont worry if you dont have one. Using a water hose to fill the pool is perfectly normal.

If you have an autofill, there will be an autofill cover somewhere on the deck. Its under either a round or square plastic lid similar to the skimmer lid.
The autfill has a little plunger in it, similar to a toilet plunger that stops water flow when the plunger water level setting is reached. THere are several designs of them, but the pretty much all work the same. Here is a pic of one. If you dont have anything like this anywhere, then you dont have an auto fill.
swimming pool auto fill pic - Bing images

If your water level in the pool went down really fast, I suspect an incorrect Multi Port valve setting on the filter. Make sure it is on "Filter" and not on backwash or waste. Oh, and never change the multi port vavle setting with the pump running. Turn off pump. Adjust the valve setting, the turn pump back on.

Hmmm. There's no evidence there is a Multi-port valve. From the newish appearing blue PVC cement, it looks like someone may have "hard plumbed" the piping system just to make it filter and sell the house.

Maybe so. In looking further at that filter, the "rotary" filter for the SMBW is a strange thing. Its a metal lever at the bottom of the filter.
here is a video of it.
Cleaning a Pentair 2000 Series Filter - YouTube
I dont see an air release on the OPs pressure gauge either.

All,

Thanks for your feedback. I am getting a bit more worry now :(

When I first got the house, I did try to ticker around with the water flow, and I have change the direction of the multivalve during operation, did that cause permanent damage?

As for the two Jandy Valve, for the top one, I put it in the middle so water flow to both the pool and the spa, is that correct?

For the bottom one, how can I determine which direction is to the
Skimmer and the Main Drain? I know that in one direction, the water pressure gauge is higher than the other.

Per discussion with the previous owner, the spa used to have a heater but they had removed it before they found no used of it.

Is there any additional picture or action I should take tomorrow?

Thanks for all of your help

Terence

Dont worrry, you have not damaged anything.

In looking at the pics again, I dont think the bottom valve controls skimmer and main drain as I previously said.

I belive the bottom valve is to select pool or spa. In center position the pump is pulling water from both.
Turn it to one side, and look in the skimmer. If you see water flowing through the skimmer, then that side is the pool and other side is the spa. If there is no water flow through the skimmer, then that side is the Spa.

On the top valve - that is the return. Water is pumped back to the pool and/or spa though this valve. Center position will allow water to go to both the pool and spa. Turn it to one side and put your hand in front of the spa return. If you feel water flowing, then that side is the spa and other side is the pool.

To avoid accidentally draining the spa. Do not have the suction (bottom) valve set on Spa Only, and the Return (top valve), set on Pool only. If you do this, all of the water will drain out of the spa, and into the pool.

regarding the perssure rise.
If you have the return valve selected for both pool and spa, the pressure will be lower than if if you have the return selected for only pumping water back to one or the other.

All,

Thanks for your feedback. I am getting a bit more worry now :(

When I first got the house, I did try to ticker around with the water flow, and I have change the direction of the multivalve during operation, did that cause permanent damage?

As for the pressure rise.
If the pump is pulling water from only the pool or the spa, the pressure will be higher than if you are pumping water from both of them.

As for the two Jandy Valve, for the top one, I put it in the middle so water flow to both the pool and the spa, is that correct?

For the bottom one, how can I determine which direction is to the
Skimmer and the Main Drain? I know that in one direction, the water pressure gauge is higher than the other.

Per discussion with the previous owner, the spa used to have a heater but they had removed it before they found no used of it.

Is there any additional picture or action I should take tomorrow?

Thanks for all of your help

Terence

Not sure about the potential damage I will let those with a DE filter answer. As for the other question it is hard to see a main drain working but you can often see water flowing into the skimmer just by the gate being puled down from the flow, if you have a bunch of leaves or a diverter that is partially closed in the skimmer that would be the reason for the higher pressure. I would take the lid off the skimmer at the pool, take the basket out and look at the bottom of the skimmer you will see one of a few things either one or two holes with or with out a movable plate to partially restrict flow or you will see a grill looking device called a diverter plate. If you have the diverter plate while the pump is off reach in and pull it out it should just be sitting there not locked in or anything it is held down by suction while the pump is on. It is possible that the main drain and the skimmer both pull from the skimmer that would be where a diverter plate would come it. If that were the case then the lower Jandy at the pump would be one side pool one side spa. Take a picture inside the skimmer with out the basket in that will help determine what you have

I had a chance to experiment a bit more with the pool today.

- I've attached some new pictures to imgur, New pictures 11-29 - Album on Imgur, including the skimmer and what's underneath it. Also, I took a picture of the back of the tank to what maybe the release value.

- As for the lever, I yet the top valve at the middle, if I turn the bottom value one way, I can see water moving in the skimmer, when I turn it the other way, the water in the skimmer stay still.

- I am seeing the floor of the pool chipping away, is it due to the chemical in the water?

Ok.

That is an air release valve on the back of the filter gauge.

The bottom valve is controlling the suction from the Pool and the spa.

The plaster unfortunately is not in very good shape. It has delaminated from the pool shell. This is due to the age of the plaster (it looks fairly old) plus it probably has not had proper water balance for a very long time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.