Northern Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I just opened my pool and am having trouble with the salt readings.

Test strips (a couple of years old) show the salt level at 3540, which is surprising since that's about where I thought I left it last year before closing.

The reading on the Aquapure SWG shows 2400.

The pool temperature is only about 64 degrees, but there is nothing in the Aquapure documentation that shows that would affect the salt calculation.

Which number should I believe? Could the higher reading be the result of old and faulty test strips?

Thanks. It was the test strips. They didn't expire until next month but were bad already.

New strips showed a reading of 2500, basically agreeing with SWG.

Now to get the salt - we use a maintenance guy to open and he owes us the 200-ish lbs of salt we need.

I am always shocked at the volume of salt needed when we have to adjust our 34,000 gallon pool. Just for grins I plugged it into the pool calculator and it would have required almost 1000 lbs on initial start up! I wasn't around when our pool builder did it but especially since he used Mineral Springs Beginnings that must have cost a pretty penny...

Resurrecting an old thread as I'm having the same problem with my just opened pool. The SWG reads low salt, 2300. Probably low due to the cold temperature, but still. The "new" test strips I bought last spring, with an expiration date of 2/2011 are reading 4000. Cannot possibly be right.

I will order new test strips but the expiration date on these things seems to have zilch to do with when they actually go bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.