West Georgia Pool Build! Swimming by Summer '16

Jul 29, 2015
Douglasville, GA
Hi everyone! I am so excited to be starting my very own build thread!

I love reading forums for all of my interests and hobbies so when I started getting serious about a pool, I discovered TFP back in July and have learned so much since. We have lived in Georgia for 10 years and since the day we moved here, my goal was to get a pool. I had been holding off until we had money for it (most of it) and until we got our family complete. One thing always holding me back was the fact that we have to relocate our septic system. I always had in the back of my head that in addition to the expense of the pool, I have to spend $5-6,000 moving the septic system. Then, one day it dawned one me – no matter how long I wait, I’ll have to move that system, so I might as well just do it!

I started thinking seriously about a pool early this year. In July, I got really serious and started researching like crazy, looking for builders, coming up with a plan for the yard, and coming up with the sales job on my wife :).

By the time August came around, I had the money figured out, sold my wife on the plan, and decided that it was time: kids are young (3 months, 20 months, and nearly 6 years), and after knowing a few folks who’s life changed too suddenly this year, I thought it was time to do it while things are stable and while we can enjoy this as a family for a long time to come.

I really am doing this for the kids! Sure, I am getting all the bells and whistles, and it’s my dream, but I’ve always wanted a pool and I am so excited to be able to provide something for my kids and family that will drive great memories for years!

So, I’ll start from the beginning in this thread. I can type fast, and like to tell the whole story, so I am sorry if it’s long!

After looking at tons of threads and countless pictures online, my initial wants:
- Concrete, free-form pool; about 100-105’ perimeter
- 4’ to 6’ or 4’ to 8’ feet (wife decided we would do 3’6” – 8’)
- Pebble finish (which is eventually how I found my builder)
- LED lighting
- Waterfall, natural stone
- Benches in pool
- Tanning ledge, 3 lighted bubblers
- Umbrella sleeves
- Laminars (vetoed)
- Lots of decking, stamped or pavers (all quotes included 1,500 sq ft plus a set price for extra)
- 40’ wide and 3’ tall retaining wall will be required due to yard layout
Did not want
- hot tub
- diving board

We have a horribly sloped back yard, so I was always concerned where a pool could go. I had some ideas and initially it was going to be far from the house. Septic challenges and logistics moved it closer to the house, but it’s okay because after monitoring summer sun, the entire pool is in the sun until 7p and then the shallow end takes on shade.

So, in early August I started seeking out builders. For those of you that know the west Georgia area (30 miles west of Atlanta), there isn’t a whole lot out here. I contacted 5 builders.
- Builder 1, found via Google. Local company, no store location, great ideas, estimate was well north of $70k; No thank you
- Builder 2, largest builder in west Georgia. Many store locations, very well known. No showed for 1 appointment and BLEW ME OFF TWICE!! I gave up on them.
- Builder 3, he was building a pool in my neighborhood. I was driving around and found him. Owner came over, looked around, had ideas and was really nice. Sent his estimator over the next week. Estimator/designer spent an hour in my backyard. Told me I’d hear from them in a week. Texted the owner twice two weeks after the designer came out. Never heard from him again!
- Builder 4, local, Had a lot of great ideas, price was right in my range – a little over $50k. He was in the running.
- Builder 5, local with a small store. Family owned. Had them out in August. One of the owners and his daughter spend a hot humid hour in my back yard explaining everything and sharing ideas. They followed up asking if I had questions. I had them back out 3 weeks later because I moved the pool location. I just wanted to check on pricing changes. They gladly came back and were wonderful. They came in at $55k with regular concrete, $58k stamped. They won. They weren’t the cheapest option, but I just felt best with them. Great people. I am fortunate to have found these folks through Pebbletec’s website while I was looking for Pebbletec builders in my area. That is a search I am glad I did!

I am willing to share any facts about any of these builders via PM with anyone. For those in the area, it shouldn’t be difficult to figure out builder 2. Until I am swimming in my pool, I’ll hold off on revealing my builder. I want to make sure all goes well and if we have hiccups, give them ample time to fix. However, I expect all will go well. They are great people.

After my builder came out for visit 1 and I felt good about them, I started figuring out what else I had to do. My budget for this project, before septic system, fend and landscaping was $55,000, top-end, and still more than I would want to spend. I would have loved to spend just $50k. Of course reality is I am already over the top-end budget! :)

This was a stressful experience with my county just seeing if I was going to be able to build a pool! Bad dirt all over my acre lot and septic tank needed moved. Not a lot of options to move it. Go visit the county to see what I have to do. They tell me I need a survey for the pool, and to see if there is room for new system, etc. So, I was $800 over budget when I walked in to the surveyor’s office! After a few weeks, surveyor tells me there isn’t room to relocate system and put a pool in! Oh geez, that was bad and sad. After some back and forth and showing them exactly where things would go, they redrew and signed off. It was tight but ok.

I hire a septic company to come out, put in a new tank and drain field. That happened in October. They tore up my gardens, and half of the $5,000 worth of sod I put in a few years ago (the rest of my sod was tore up Friday when we dug the pool…it was expected, but tough to watch!). It was a tight fit. I gave the septic guys very tight confines to do their job in. They weren’t happy with me with how far down my hill they needed to go. They were worried the county wouldn’t approve. However, I told them the only reason I am spending close to $6,000 on a new system and drain field is to get a pool. If the septic is too close, all this is for nothing. They didn’t talk to me the rest of the time they worked but they fit it all in.

So, STRESSFUL times from mid-August until the end of October working through the survey, approval, home refi, septic redo, and pool contract. Jeez! However, contract signed with my builder in mid October and down payment made, just needed to find a day that I’d be home so they can dig!

(more to follow tomorrow, including some pictures!)

Hi! Welcome to TFP! You will love it here and we love pictures, so post a bunch!

I'm not one of them, but the experts here will want to see all the particulars of your build- equipment, tile, stone, etc.

You experience with PBs sounds like ours! We ended up with one of the more expensive builders but they have a great reputation.

Sounds like like you are making great progress! I look forward to watching your build!

Loving it already! What a great start of a pool build on TFP!

It is tomorrow! (oh wait that is for when you get your plaster LOL) We want MORE story please!

Like nini said pool info. in your siggy please. You can always change it if anything changes but that will give us something to think on. My guess that you have already done your "homework" and knew what equipment to ask for!

Kim

So here are the specs for the pool. The final contract is a little different than this but, not by much.

We also added a line about adding mosaic tile in the pool if we chose. The tile guys will install. PB will sell it to me for what I can buy it for online. We still have to decide if we want that.

Patio changing a bit too: We have a large deck and a lot of the 1,500sq ft will be under the deck. Note in the concrete section it talks of a step off the house to patio, then 3 steps to pool deck. We started the dig last week and with the location of the footer on my house, we now will have the patio right off the back door, a large patio area and 5 steps down to pool deck. It will be easier to see when I have time to post pictures.

1. Pre Excavation:

1. Develop complete construction plan, to be approved by owner.
  2. Lay out pool in yard, for owner approval.
  3. Secure any necessary construction permits.
  4. Review equipment location, access, and stock pile location.
  5. will provide erosion control where necessary.
  6. provide a porta-potty for duration of job.

2. Excavation:

1. Excavate pool, and hand trim walls for even surface.
  2. Excavate 650 sq. ft. pool.
3. Pool depth will be 3 1/2’ to 8’ deep.

3. Forming:

1. Place level forms around pool.
  2. Form for two skimmers and 2 lights
  3. Brace all forms to support shotcrete application.
  4. Form for tanning shelf.
  5. Form for 3 glow bright lights and 3 foam jets in tanning shelf.

1. Steel:

1. Install reinforcing steel in pool.
  2. The horizontal reinforcement spacing will be 12” on center.
  3. The vertical reinforcement spacing will be 6” on center.
  4. Bond beam reinforcement steel will be in a box configuration 3” on center.
  5. Install additional reinforcement steel on inside corners, and transition area.
  6. All steel reinforcement will be #3 3/8” grade 40 deformed bars and conform to ASTM A 615 lap all bar a min. of 40 bar diameters or as specified.
  7. Block all reinforcement steel 3” from natural grade.

5. Plumbing:

1. Plumb natural stone water fall on 2 ½” line.
  2. Plumb one skimmer on independent 2” line with Jandy valves.
  3. Plumb dual main drains in pool.
  4. Plumb for automatic pool cleaner.
  5. Install light niche per plan.
  6. Run pool lights in 1” PVC conduit
  7. Install all specified equipment.
  8. Plumb 2” pool over flow line.
  9. All plumbing will be pressure tested to insure no leaks in PVC and PE.

6. Equipment:

1. Pentair® Intelliflo variable speed pump for pool.
  2. Pentair® Quad 100 DE® pool filter.
  3. Pentair® Easytouch® 4-Circuit.
  4. Pentair® U3 skimmers.
  5. Pool over flow grate.
  6. Pentair® diverter valves 2 1/2” x 3” two way and three way.
  7. Pentair® CPVC spring check valves.
  8. 2 Pentair® Intellibrite® LED color pool lights.
  9. Pentair® Intellichlor® IC 40 salt system. (Initial salt to be added after 30 days from startup)
  10. Anti-Electrolysis anode for return line.
  11. Maintenance equipment.(vacuum pole, brush, net, test kit, and safety rope)
  12. Pentair® ¾ HP booster pump.
  13. Polaris® 280 pressure side pool cleaner.

7. Electrical:

1. Install pool grounding wire per NEC.
  2. Wire pool control system with 100 amp service
  3. Wire all equipment in rain tight conduit.
  4. Install and wire all lights with GFCI.
  5. Wire computerized control system.
  6. All wire except main, and bonding will be THHN stranded.

8. Shotcrete:

Shotcrete to meet or exceed ACI 506.2-95 specifications.
Shotcrete will be a 4,000 psi mix design.

1. Shotcrete all beams 12” thick to natural grade.
  2. Floor to be 8” to 10” thick.
  3. Steps and benches per plan.
  4. Pool to be 3 1/2’ to 8’ in depth.
  5. Shotcrete will be applied using a minimum 250 CFM compressor and concrete pump.
  6. During shotcrete application a blowpipe will be used to prevent any rebound from building up.
Rebound will be removed from pool and not used to build any steps, benches, etc.
After 7 day we will apply Aquron® Concrete Pool Shell Protector™ to all shotcrete.
Plumbing and light penetrations will be dished as to allow for water proofing later.

9. Masonry:

1. Install natural stone coping 2 1/2” – 3” thick 18” wide
  2. Install 6” waterline tile in pool.
  3. Tile will be installed following ANSI A 108, 14, 15, & 16.
  4. Bonding mortars will meet or exceed ANSI A 118.1, 118.4, & 118.3.
  5. Grout will meet or exceed ANSI A 118.6, & 118.7
  6. Install Natural stone waterfall, 12’ long, 4’ wide.
  7. Build one stack stone retaining wall approximately 40’ long by 3’ high.
  8. Retaining wall will have cap stone on top to match pool coping.
  9. End of retaining wall will rise to 4’ with a light on top

10. Decking:

1. Have one step down out of the back of house.
  2. Pour two sets of steps, one set of steps will be 8’ wide and the other will be 4’ wide steps will have three steps.
  3. Install 1,500 Sq. Ft stamped and color pool decking.
  4. Concrete mix design will be 3,500 psi.
  5. Pool deck will have steel reinforcement will be #3 3/8” grade 40 deformed bars and conform to ASTM A 615 lap all bar a min. of 40 bar diameters or as specified.
  6. Steel reinforcement will be 3’ on center.
  7. Pool deck will have soft cut expansion joints.
  8. Install mastic joint between coping and pool deck.
  9. Mastic joint material to be Sikaflex® 2c SL premium grade polyurethane based elastomeric sealant (meets ASTM C-920 capable of + or – 50% joint movement.)

1. Plaster:

1. Prep pool for plaster with thorough cleaning & acid wash.
  2. Install water stop fittings on all pipe penetrations.
  3. Water seal all pipes and lights.
  4. Plaster pool with PebbleTec® or Pebble Sheen® standard colors.
  5. Acid wash plaster to expose pebbles.
  6. Install all wall fittings to match plaster color.
  7. Drain covers and fittings to match plaster color.
  8. Commence filling.

12. Start up:

1. Clean construction site.
  2. Final grade around pool area.
  3. Turn on and check operation of all equipment.
  4. Instruct owner on proper operation of entire system.

Very prelim picture to get an idea of shape and size. The deep end is a bit wider. Colors and stamped pattern are all examples....we still have a ton of choices and decisions to make! We dug Friday and then immediately left down. I'll post dig pics today or tomorrow.

Welcome to TFP! I also have a very drastic sloped yard and went through the pain of where the pool would go. Make darn sure all your bids deal with drainage and water flow. You don't want mud/dirt in your pool. Part of the reason I picked the pool builder I did was because he designed my pool based on the slope and built walls to route the water.

I see a wall in your build make sure that the water cannot go between it and the rock waterfall and get into your pool.

Looking forward to the winter build! We need more of these. Our build had a good slope as well. You may be interested in reviewing it.

Thanks ummgood, that's great advice. Bmoreswim - I have been through both of your and umm's threads over the past few months. Just went back through your's again. Especially interested now because my wall situation may be like yours. I also really like the pattern of your decking. Was that all 'drawn' by hand like the walls, or stamped? It all looks great.

The wall currently depicted in mine is the 40'x3' retaining wall. It will come off the back of my house and go behind the deep end to help cut out a large slope. In addition, there will now be the wall off the top patio. I'll be sure to discuss drainage before they start doing the walls.

Thanks Marla! Great point on the dark coping - that was one of the first things I told the builder: it needs to be lighter!

Bmoreswim - I have been through both of your and umm's threads over the past few months. Just went back through your's again. Especially interested now because my wall situation may be like yours. I also really like the pattern of your decking. Was that all 'drawn' by hand like the walls, or stamped?

Yes, the deck was hand carved for stone shapes and then textured with mats.

Hi Dave,
Nice looking pool! No doubt you're excited about the project!

I'm liking your equipment choices! I don't see any room for real improvement on that!

Considering the size of pool, equipment choices, big deck, retaining wall and waterfall, I think you got a pretty good deal on your price too.

Enjoy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey there DLDave1978 :) Glad you found us!
I think building this time of year is a great plan- no rush due to heavy work load which could affect quality, and you won't have the kids whining to get in so fast in the cooler weather.

I had a sloped backyard that was basically unusable *until* we put our pool in. It gave us space outside around the pool to cook-out, lay-out and just be out in that we never really had before. I just wish we'd done it when the kids were a bit younger <sigh>

Get us some pictures! The artist's rendering is gorgeous!

I'm back! So it's been about 4 months. Kids and work have kept me busy but more importantly, after the initial dig in November and gunite in early December, work stopped for nearly 3 months. The guys needed dry weather to work and it rained enough weekly this winter that things never got dry enough. In fact, it rained so much that water was up to the first step in the shallow end.

The crew has been back out working about 3 weeks. Stone guys out there now building my wall as I type. Thanks for the comments so far. Divin Dave, thank you for your feedback!

I feel like we are about a month from completion. I have taken hundreds of pictures over the past few months and will post over the next week the steps in our build. Things have been great with the builder thus far. I am a little disappointed in his supplier charging $1000 to upgrade to Blue Surf because it's 'new' (I told them according to TFP it's a year old....see my thread from last week). He assures me he wouldn't up-charge if he wasn't being up-charged as well. I feel like I've gotten a good deal thus far and I really trust them so I believe him. He said he'd talk to the supplier but for now, I think we'll stick with Blue Granite.

One big thing - in my first post, the pool was going to be $58,000 (on an initial 'goal' budget of $55k) based on the initial estimate. By the time contract time came around, we were up to $62,500. Things have been so crazy, I can't even remember what we changed. However, by the time it was time to sign, I still felt like it was a good deal based on all my research and other estimates. :eek:

But.....since the day we signed in October, I have upgraded:
- to the Easytouch 8 circuit
- switched from stamped concrete to Belgard Pavers for an additional $1 sq. foot but I also went from 1500 sq. ft to 1800 sq. ft (a whole truck load), so I had to pay for an additional 300 sq. ft @ about $9/ft installed. We initially wanted pavers but when we did the contract I was told it would be $7-9k more. It was only $1500 more based on the contract....plus the additional 300 sq. ft. I wanted it and felt like I'd regret not getting it, so we did! :D
- changed some lighting
- other stuff I can't recall.

So I am up to $68,500 now. However we are getting everything we truly want, so it's all good. I think we are done adding, but after seeing the stacked stone on my retaining wall I am kind of wanting a fire pit to match!

Oh yeah...and the whole slopped yard thing? Amazing how much different it's looking. Plenty of flat space now.

Enjoy the pics....

The initial dig day in mid-November. Before they could start laying out the pool, they had to dig out the old septic tank and do a little leveling of the yard.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of the slope:

Tackling the tank:

What a mess tank was. It had rained a lot between the time I had a new septic system and tank put in and there was a lot of water in the tank...probably 500 gallons. The guys pumped it out. They broke up and pulled the tank out and dug in where the leach field started. They hit what was a blockage (and probably a failing system) and another 500 gallons back flowed to where the tank was. So they had to pump it all out again. Finally the hole was cleared and then filled with dirt to level the yard.
A Bobcat came in to assist:

I figured they would run out of time to dig, but they managed to get it all done in a day:

I travel often for work. I tell my 6 year old she is in charge when I am gone. She always reports to me the guys are doing a good job:

The next day or two after the dig, the guys got out there to get plumbing and rebar done. They were a little concerned that the wall in the deep end would fall in since that's where the old leach field began. This was another quick process. They started plumbing work early in the morning and were still finishing up when I got home from work. They started rebar and I figured they'd never finish before dark. They really moved fast!

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got the pool shot in mid December before they had to stop due to continuous rain. Unfortunately I had to work this day so no action shots, just the finished product:

Wanted steps as small as possible:

Our view from late December until March.

Getting fuller....

After that last picture was taken, we had another big storm and the pool had even more water in it. Finally about 3 weeks ago we had a stretch of dry weather forecast. The guys came out, drained the pool and got to work.

They started by digging a trench to run the rest of plumbing to the equipment pad. In addition they were ready to set up the stone delievery: coping, wall, and waterfall. We had so much stone coming, they decided to send the truck right to our house. The stone comes from a company in TN and the driver runs at night. I was told he'd show at about 0300 and sleep until the crew came in the morning. We live in an uncompleted neighborhood and have the back of the place to ourselves. Plenty of room to park!

Sure enough, we wake up at 0600 and the truck is there:

Tons and tons of rock! Each pallet was 3,000 - 4,000 lbs!

The stone work is pretty amazing. Two guys spent a week breaking down the pallets of smaller rock and hammering and chiseling EVERY SINGLE PIECE. It's crazy, I had no idea that much work went it to it.

They are currently stacking the stone on a retaining wall that is 80-100' long. Haven't had time to measure it but will this weekend.

I am also pretty amazed at the size of rock that will be used for the waterfall. It's huge. It's what we wanted but when you see it in person - wow!

Currently debating weather or not to get mosaics. Been looking at starfish for the tanning ledge, steps and benches in the deep end and maybe a turtle in the shallow end. Or, do I put the money toward a fire pit??? Decisions decisions.

Also having a heck of time figuring out grout color for the tile. Bluish tile. I'll get a pic tonight.

Sounds like you have some REAL skilled trades there! NICE!

I can't wait to see the tile to help pick a grout color.

You mean I cannot have a couple of mosaics AND a fire pit????? *pout* hehe

You can always get a fire pit later and use those little fire logs you can buy in the boxes. Work great and are very easy to use.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.