Insurance

I told mine before I put it in. It doesn't affect my rates as long as I have it fenced properly, but even though I have earthquake coverage on my house it specifically excludes the pool.

Not telling them could result in cancellation or refusal to pay a settlement, and you may not have coverage on the pool if it's damaged by a storm etc..

Adding a pool didn't change our homeowner policy premium.

In addition, we went with a $1 million umbrella liability policy - which required us to raise the liability limits on our auto insurance ... and actually lowered our auto rate .. go figure.

The umbrella policy went for $250 per year ... a bargain for having peace of mind.

The rule of thumb I have heard is to get 1 million dollars or your net worth, whichever is higher, of umbrella insurance. Sadly, with insurance there is no point at which you can conclusively say "that is enough". More is always better, but not always worth paying for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our pool added about $35 per year (AAA). We are in process for the $1 mil umbrella policy. Funny, though, with a $2 mil suit you're still up the creek. I guess the idea is to not tell anybody you have the policy and then they won't go after it.... (as much). I can just see the mailman 'tripping' and grabbing the $1 mil....

But back to the subject -- it's super cheap -- do not avoid the insurance.

Steve

We have an AGP and got coverage for damage during wind, hail, etc. about $7 a year more to cover for replacement cost. We also have liability coverage, but we have horses too so it's straight across the board liability no matter the reason.

frustratedpoolmom said:
We purchased a $1Mil Umbrella policy, for our own piece of mind. Americans are lawsuit crazy...I wouldn't take a chance.

+1...mine is $125/yr...

In our town, we had a fairly famous premises liability lawsuit and trial about 10 years back...a family goes on vacation with an IG pool and a 6 foot locked fence...the neighbor teenage and his friends jump the fence and he dives in an fractures C5/C6 and is a quadriplegic...10 million dollar jury verdict...the family filed bankruptcy and lost their home...

Please tell your insurance company :goodjob:

ideliver said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
We purchased a $1Mil Umbrella policy, for our own piece of mind. Americans are lawsuit crazy...I wouldn't take a chance.

+1...mine is $125/yr...

In our town, we fairly famous premises liability lawsuit and trial about 10 years back...a family goes on vacation with an IG pool and a 6 foot locked fence...the neighbor teenage and his friends jump the fence and he dives in an fractures C5/C6 and is a quadriplegic...10 million dollar jury verdict...the family filed bankruptcy and lost their home...

Please tell your insurance company :goodjob:

Stories like this just boil my blood. I feel for the teenager ending up as a quadriplegic, but a family lost everything because of his criminal action and sheer stupidity. One of the many things wrong with this country of ours - no one is held accountable for their actions anymore. It's always "someone else's fault"... :grrrr: :grrrr: :grrrr:

OK, off my soapbox now..back to your regular programming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.