Cleaner doesn't sink, tail not moving

Jul 2, 2010
Hi all, we have a 5 year old Pentair Legend Platinum pressure side cleaner and lately it doesn't seem to be doing it usual masterful job. It will suck up some leaves, and pressure out of the tail is definitely good (I get sprayed by it weekly if not paying attention :). Two things I've noticed are that 1) the tail no longer sweeps side to side, and 2) the unit in general seems to float in the water rather than sinking to the bottom and driving. It does eventually get there and drive around, but seems like the difference between walking on Earth and walking on the Moon.

Side effect is that the leaves are collecting in a strip at the bottom of the pool that never gets distributed out by the tail, and the cleaner rarely goes right through it to pick up the leaves.

What do I look at first?

If it's "floating" more than you want, sounds like air is not being allowed to escape at the rate you need.

I really don't know the internals of pressure side cleaners but I would think a screen or a filter may need cleaning to allow that air to get out.

Sometimes mine acts weird too. I turn it over under water to eliminate trapped air. Also, try unscrewing or screwing in the ballast bulb to adjust the flotation. The swishing tail could be a result of lower water flow either from your VS pump being on a lower setting or due to the filter needing to be cleaned.

My Polaris is new as is my pool and I am still on the up slope of the learning curve on much of this so bare that in mind. I noticed that the cleaner was running on 1 or two wheels much of the time what you would call walking on the moon. I just a few days ago got around to looking into if this was normal and never did find a definitive answer but I did find a YouTube video from "Swimming Pool Tips, Reviews & How To -MrDgvb1" on my cleaner that had setup and troubleshooting. The tail on mine was was going crazy I never much thought about it but the video showed how to adjust the tail speed. My guess was I was using too much pressure to the tail and that was taking pressure form the bag jets that pick up debris and also keep the cleaner pushed against the floor and walls, I tuned the tail pressure down and now the cleaner stays to the floor and wall much better.

Your tail being sluggish and the cleaner floating I would guess you have an over all flow issue perhaps the inline filter is a bit clogged or 1 or more jets inside the cleaner. I would do the RPM test mentioned in the video and do a visual inspection on all the jets inside the cleaner.

Here is a video on your cleaner from "Swimming Pool Tips, Reviews & How To -MrDgvb1" Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend Review, Troubleshooting Tips - YouTube it has general info as well as some troubleshooting tips

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.